Chapter 3

“I’m such an idiot…” I groaned as I walked down the dark streets.

I looked to my left and saw dilapidated houses with boards covering the windows. Rusty chain link fences separated each property and added an eerie effect to the already scary neighborhood. On my right were more of the same worn down houses with small, overgrown lawns.

The orange glow provided by the few working streetlamps was the only source of light on the street. A rat ran out in front of me and I nearly screamed, but I covered my own mouth before it could happen. I didn’t want to draw any unwanted attention to myself.

One of the lights ahead of me flickered as a strong gust of cold wind blew. I wrapped my small leather jacket around myself tighter. Goosebumps scattered my arms and legs.

I wished I had worn something warmer to the party. Yeah, I looked sexy, but now I had to walk home in the cold. If I had just left a half an hour earlier, I would have gotten on the last bus of the night. But no, I had to stay to watch a few games of beer pong.

What was I thinking?

Now I was walking through the neighborhoods of Englewood, Chicago by myself. Englewood is easily the most dangerous part of the Chicago, if not the entire country. It had gang violence and murders nearly every day. And now I was walking through it wear a short dress and high heels all by myself.

What the hell can I do? I sighed and looked at my phone.

Shit.

It was nearly 12:30 and I had to be home by 1. The only problem is that I have to walk all the way home, so it would probably take me three hours.

I googled a name for a taxi company and called them. Maybe they would come pick me up. I thought about calling my number as the ringing started, but she would probably murder me and it would take an hour for her to get here.

“Hello, this is the Yellow Cab Company.” A man with a middle eastern accent spoke.

“Hi,” I sighed in relief. A puff of hot air escaped from my lips in a cloud of mist. “I was wondering if someone could come pick me up…”

“Where are you?” The man asked.

“Englewood…” I said as I paced around under one of the streetlamps. I looked up and saw bugs flying around the light. Ew.

“We do not service that area. I’m sorry,” The man said and then the line went dead.

“Hello?” I said to the receiver but a beeping tone started. “Are you fucking kidding me?”

I felt like throwing my phone on the ground or kicking something. Why the fuck would the cab company not pick me up? I hate everything.

I ran my fingers through my hair and thought of a place that I could call. I could call another cab company, but I might just get rejected the same way and I don’t even think I had money on me. I could call my friends but they are an hour away, same as my parents.

Think. Think.

I racked my brain for ideas. I had better come up with something soon because it was getting even later and I didn’t want to be out here any longer.

Then I got the genius idea of calling the police station. Perfect. I dialed 911 and a woman answered.

“911, what’s your emergency?”

“This isn’t really an emergency,” I said quietly as cold air whipped around me. “There are no more buses and I’m an hour away from home and I’m in Englewood…”