Chapter 72

"What if it comes out positive?" Nicole questioned as we sat on the couch in silence. She had calmed down after coming out of the bathroom because she probably knew that there was still a chance that it was negative. "My whole life will be ruined! Nobody wants to marry a girl who has a kid!"

"Nicole, plenty of people will want to marry a gorgeous woman with an even more adorable kid. Don't worry about that! You have years to figure that out and you may not even be pregnant," I stated.

"But aren't these tests supposed to be really accurate or something? Like, how often do people get false positives on these things?! It can't be that common or else the company would go out of business," She was starting to stress herself out again and I needed to act quickly.

"You're right, it isn't that common but it has happened enough times that people know about it. It's not like it's an unheard of thing. Please just trust me," I smiled at her and she nodded slowly. "Are you still on birth control?"

"I am now but I wasn't at the time. I forgot to pick up my prescription so I was two weeks late. I ended up just waiting until my period came again to start it. I'm an idiot, I know." She groaned and leaned her head back on the couch. "How much longer?"

"Five minutes," I sighed after checking my phone. It felt like we had been waiting for an eternity but it had only been five minutes. She groaned and grabbed the TV remote before turning the TV on. We didn't end up watching TV but kind of just stared into space.

When my timer went off, we both ran to the bathroom. She got there first but kept her body turned from the stick. "Will you be there for me if I am pregnant?"

"Of course, Nicole," I smiled and she gave me a tight hug. She spun around and looked down at the stick. She didn't say anything for a few seconds. "Well?"

"I'm not pregnant!" She squealed and turned around with the stick in her hand. I looked at it and saw that she was right. Tears were springing from her eyes as the realization that she wasn't pregnant hit her. She tossed the test in the trash before wrapping her arms around me. "Thank you, Ava!"

I was so happy for her. She wasn't at the right place in her life to have a child and we both knew that. We didn't let go of each other for a few more minutes and when we did we sat back down on the couch.

"Ugh, I'm too emotionally drained to go to school..." Nicole sighed and my eyes bulged. I had skipped the first hour of school. Zayn would absolutely kill me if he knew.

"Shit!" I said as my stomach filled with dread. "I need to go!" I stood up to leave but Nicole grabbed my hand and pulled me back down.

"Please stay with me..." She sighed. "I've been through a lot this morning and I want you here."

"Nicole..." I groaned.

"Please..." She sighed again and I nodded.

"I can only stay until two because I want Zayn to think I went to school..." I knew it was wrong deceiving him but he would be so mad at me if he knew that I had skipped school to go see Nicole. If I told him, I would have to explain the whole pregnancy thing and I don't think Nicole would appreciate me telling him that.

"Ooh, you're still with him?" She squealed and I nodded. "I really want to meet him."

"Maybe one day you will," I blushed, knowing that he would not want to meet her.

"Can you tell me more about him? All I know is that he's really hot and is a cop!" She smiled. She probably didn't want the attention on herself and was trying to distract herself from her scare this morning. For once, I didn't mind having the attention on me.