Chapter Thirty-three

Dedicated to thetoluakintunde

Love bears all things [regardless of what comes], believes all things [looking for the best in each one], hopes all things [remaining steadfast during difficult times], endures all things [without weakening]. --1 Corinthians 13:7 (AMP)

Love sure has a way of creeping up on you

Love sure has a way of creeping up on you. One minute you're blushing strangers, tentative around each other. Then you discover you both have things in common or qualities you admire. The next minute you're calling the person up at the first bit of free time you have or talking late into the night.

And before you know it, you're planning a surprise birthday party.

Posi had spent the past three days trying to organize a mini-party for Tayo. The guy had said he didn't have anything planned for that day, so here she was with Funmi, Gerald and Toyin putting finishing touches to the party preparations. Even GP was in on it. She had somehow managed to get his number through Kazeem and he had been ecstatic about it.

"So, what did you tell Tayo he was coming for?" Funmi asked.

The venue was her house. He had never been to her apartment and of course, he had asked questions.

She adjusted the tray of small chops on the small centre table in her sitting room. "I told him to come to pick up his dad's frame. He protested saying I should still keep it till we travel for his birthday. But I told him he had to come to pick it up because I also had his birthday gift with me. That seemed to do the trick."

She smiled as she remembered the slight lilt in his tone when she mentioned a gift. He was so easy to please.

Funmi just laughed. "Well, this is a great gift."

"I know, right," Toyin concurred.

"Well, Kazeem will be coming earlier. And they will soon be here. I'll go bring him up when he arrives."

********

Tayo had woken up so filled with thanks to God that morning. Up till the previous night, he had just been feeling so-so. He felt there was nothing to celebrate as much as he had anticipated for the year. He had spent most of the year recuperating from the pain and guilt he had allowed to consume him.

But as he opened his eyes to the dawn of the new day, a sense of gratitude washed over him. It was largely because he had spoken at length with Posi the day before. She had asked him again about his plans to celebrate his birthday and he had replied with nothing.

He has always known that Posi was amazing, like really amazing. But when someone helps you to see correctly from a new perspective that you haven't considered before, that person wasn't just amazing but awesomely amazing.

She had listened to all the many reasons he had for not feeling like the new year was welcomed. And then, she shared about how grateful he should be about life, salvation, sound health, food, shelter, clothing and all that God had done for him.