Chapter Eleven

Dedicated to Tosin Oyetade❤❤

God setteth the solitary in families: he bringeth out those which are bound with chains: but the rebellious dwell in a dry land.-- Psalms 68:6 (KJV)

It had been a while since Tayo had been in the palace

It had been a while since Tayo had been in the palace. It was that time of the year when his family had their Thanksgiving service. He had missed the previous one, but his mum had been on his neck to attend this one. He hoped to serve the purpose of seeing his family and also, getting much needed reprieve from all the emotions he had felt in the past year.

And who else had the ability to make the trip as interesting as Godspower was. His friend made such a great travel companion. GP's presence in the car made the journey seem like a road trip. As they moved from one spot to the next, he discovered that his friend was one of those travellers who bought everything they saw on the road. From gala to soft drinks to roasted maize to boli (roasted plantain) to sunshades to traditional bracelets, GP bought.

Tayo was too nice to speed away each time his friend saw something that caught his fancy. So, he kept slowing down or stopping the car for his friend to add to his purchases.
When Tayo couldn't hold in his exasperation anymore, he had asked him why he was bent on embarrassing him. GP's excuse was that it had been a while he had travelled by road and that he missed all the sights and wares being hawked.

Tayo couldn't say anymore to that and just left him to enjoy it all.

As they approached the palace, he knew he would have to take on the persona of a prince and everyone would address him as such.

Prince Adekiitan.

Of course, he was proud of his name but he preferred to use his middle name when outside the confines of his hometown and palace. There wasn't any major reason except that he usually felt the weight of his name on his not-too-broad shoulders. There were times when he just wanted to be from an ordinary family. Such times weren't so frequent, but they came nonetheless.

He was very sure that a lot of people didn't know he was a prince from a renown royal family. He preferred and treasured his privacy anyway and he loved it that way.

As he drove into the compound and alighted from his car, he saw his sister make her way towards him as though he was the finish line in a 50-metre dash.

"Adetutu! Take it easy on me ehn."

He caught her in his arms in time and sent a wink in GP's direction. He knew the moment his sister saw his friend. Her demeanour changed from playful to demure in a second. Tayo shook his head in amazement. He would think about them later.

He had just turned to take a step towards the entrance of the building when he saw his father. He prostrated in greeting. "Good evening, Kabiyesi."

"My son, you're welcome. Won't you give your favourite parent a hug?" His father said in that regal tone of his. He hadn't realised how much he had missed his father till he saw him.

But before he could receive the hug, the voices of the queens could be heard as they joined the gathering in front of the palace.

"Favourite parent? How?" Queen Aderonke exclaimed. "You're definitely not the one who woke up to nurse him the nights he cried up a storm. Or the one who taught him his first word."

"Or the one who gives him the best gifts," Queen Ariyike, the second queen added.

"I am sorry, Your Highnesses. It won't happen again," the king responded in jest, playing along with them.

"You're all my favourite parent," Tayo said, drawing the gazes of everyone who had come to welcome the prince  in the yard. The atmosphere went silent before everyone burst into uncontrolled laughter.

Amid the hugs and prostration in greeting, Tayo felt at peace.

It feels so good to be home.

****

"Hello, Funmi."

"Yes, girl. We're truly telepathic. I was just about to call you. How are you?" Posi could hear the elation mixed with another emotion in her dear friend's voice.

"Yeah. We are. I really need to see you. When can I come over? Please." Posi knew she sounded desperate but she needed help. Since waking up from that nightmare, she had been having mild panic attacks. She needed someone.

"...come over tonight. Is tonight okay for you?" Posi heard her friend asking.

"Tonight is okay. Do I come over or you will come over?" Truth be told she really didn't want to stay in her apartment alone especially after the nightmare.

"I'll come over."

"Okay okay. That's good with me. Thank you, babes. Have a great day. See you tonight."

As she hung up the call, she looked around her living room. I need to get out of here now.

Walking to her wardrobe, she picked out her outfit and called an Uber to take her to her studio. She needed to de-stress and she needed to right now.

"Prince Adekiitan and his friend are here, Your Majesty," one of the palace guards announced to the king

Oba Aderopo's elation was proudly displayed on his face as he beamed with excitement. He had been expecting his son to come visit home but Adekiitan kept giving one excuse or the other. He had had to use the services of his wife to ensure he came home. He was also thankful that they had a good excuse of the family Thanksgiving to use.

He had been seated in the gazebo located on the eastern side of the palace when the news came. As he rose on his feet to move towards where he knew his son had parked his car, he saw one of the princesses whiz past him.

The only person with that speed is—

"Adetutu! Take it easy on me ehn."

Oba Aderopo shook his head amusedly. If he hadn't been surrounded by his subjects, he would have facepalmed. His daughter was as unconventional as they come. She was a strange one but he was glad that she was his daughter.

As he made it round the corner, he expected to see his daughter talking the prince's ear off but what he saw made him pause. Someone else must have taken over his daughter's body because she was standing meekly with her hands entwined and looking as gentle as a dove.

Then he heard, "Good evening, Kabiyesi."