Chapter Ten

Dedicated to maryfade❤❤

A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. --Proverbs 17:17 (KJV)

Tayo knew that Godspower's heart was breaking for him

Tayo knew that Godspower's heart was breaking for him. He could tell by the glistening tears in his friend's  eyes.

Tayo knew how he looked. Lost. Scared. Crushed. And every other word that could describe the bloodshot eyes, sagged shoulders and slow steps. 

At the moment, they were seated in his living room and he had been narrating his meeting with Posi the other day before he had sunk into this. He couldn't even place a name on what he was feeling anymore. And he was truly tired of it. It was time. Really time.

Godspower Obinna was really a Godsend to him. He was a cousin to his late wife. During his courtship with Doubra, she had always had tales to tell of her favourite cousin and best friend. Then, he had thought they were all exaggerated stories till he met the man himself.

Tayo had never had a male friend like Godspower. Sometimes in life, one just meets a person and knows that this person was for them. And that was how he felt when he met Godspower. They had hit it off immediately and even on his wedding day, people couldn't tell if Godspower was from the bride's side or the groom's side. GP had been everywhere. 

His faith in God and his lifestyle had drawn Tayo all the more to God and even challenged his own faith to grow. They were more like brothers than friends. After Doubra died, he had pushed everyone away including Godspower but he wouldn't let him. He called him endlessly and sent him text messages and chats when he didn't pick his calls. Sometimes, the chats were just funny emojis or a Bible verse or just a word of encouragement.

He remembered the weeks following Doubra's death. GP had asked for his leave at his place of work and had spent the entire duration of his leave with him after her burial. Just to ensure that he wouldn't do anything crazy and he didn't leave until he was certain of it. Tayo had done everything humanly possible to make the guy leave, but he proved to be more stubborn than he was. 

GP had called few days prior to tell him he was coming to town and coming to see him whether he wanted to or not. He had forgotten how awesome it was to have someone who knew him and got him on almost the same level as Doubra had. What he didn't know was Godspower wasn't around to pet him. It was time for his wake up call. 

"Bro, what's been happening?" Godspower's baritone voice rung out so suddenly that Tayo jumped. He would have laughed if not for the sombre atmosphere hanging over the room like a heavy cloak. 

He knew he couldn't lie— wouldn't lie— to him. Clearing his throat, he spoke out in his low voice, "I just can't seem to get myself out of this funk. Some nights are not so good and most nights are worse. My days just seem to merge into each other and I cannot seem to focus on pulling myself out of this abyss of pain and hurt I seem to be in. Some days, I don't even want to come out of it because it's become a companion, a well-known companion. It feels like just yesterday when—"