Chapter Seven

Dedicated to my best friends, Damilola and Olawunmi. ❤❤

For we are His workmanship [His own master work, a work of art], created in Christ Jesus [reborn from above—spiritually transformed, renewed, ready to be used] for good works, which God prepared [for us] beforehand [taking paths which He set], so that we would walk in them [living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us].
--Ephesians 2:10 (AMP)

Nothing is impossible by Planetshakers rung out loudly causing Tayo to jerk into a sitting position

Nothing is impossible by Planetshakers rung out loudly causing Tayo to jerk into a sitting position. He had had yet another night filled with fitful sleep. He had only been able to sleep when it was about 3am. And that morning marked the seventh time he would wake up feeling like he had a heavy load on his head.

Forcing himself to stand from his bed, he turned to turn off the alarm on his phone which made his eyes land on his Bible and devotional guide. He looked away quickly like he had been caught cheating.

It had been difficult to read his Bible and praying was now a chore. His altar was as cold as the freezer part of his Scanfrost refrigerator. It had started with praying for one minute and rushing off to work to blaming himself, the hospital and then God for Doubra's death to finally just shutting his bible and keeping his lips together. His daily "I can" pep talks were just due to years of habit. He was sure his faith wasn't even a mustard seed anymore. It had faded into nothingness.

He knew God wanted him to hear Him speaking to him but he just couldn't find the strength to do the things of his Heavenly Father anymore. When did it turn to this? He had had one of the most spectacular encounters one could ever have. It was the encounter that had spurred him into surrendering to the Lordship of Jesus and he could still remember how it happened.

His fellowship with God really needed a revival. He would have spoken to his pastor, if he could even call him that anymore, but it had been a while since he'd gone to church or even spoken to him. After Doubra died, his pastor had reached out to him but he had been too lost in his grief to acknowledge any of the calls or visits.

His family had tried to help too, but there was nothing they could do especially since he kept insisting that he was fine. Godspower, his friend, had called to tell him that he was coming over and he knew he had to brace up for the heavy conversation that was bound to happen.

Maybe I'd try going to church sometime.

Just not today.

Sighing, he turned away and padded barefoot into the bathroom to prepare for his day. His day in his sitting room.

*******

As he sat in his living room, he flipped through the stations and all that was showing were various church services.

Well, what did I expect? Today is Sunday.

It was like God was doing everything to reach him because all the messages being preached had titles like "Fellowship with God", "Serving God through the Pain", "Staying in His Presence" and so on. It was like his attention was being drawn.