Chapter Fifteen

Dedicated to OlalereZainabOpeyemi❤❤

Give thanks to the only miracle working God! His tender love for us continues on forever!-- Psalms 136:4 (TPT)

Tayo was on his way to get a bar of chocolate from the refrigerator. He seemed to have a strange craving for it. And he had laughed when he heard his second mum mumble about the stairs. She had snorted at his laughter and said something like, "Wait till you're my age" before she shuffled up the stairs.

His parents' laughter had alerted him to their presence in the living room and he had taken a detour to the room when he heard them talk about something they wanted to tell him.

"What is it, mum?" Tayo repeated as he watched his parents act like children caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

"Mum?" he said again. But she just continued to stare at him with something close to guilt.

If he had paid more attention, he'd have seen the shaking of her hands.

He watched his father send a cursory glance his mum's way before he cleared his throat and said, "Your mum was just wondering if we should talk to you about getting married again. It's been almost two years since Doubra died. And we think you should consider getting married, as you're not getting any younger."

"Y-yes. E-exactly what I was saying, my son," his mum stuttered as the king placed his right hand on her entwined hands.

Tayo sighed as he made his way to one of the single sofas on his mum's right and sat. He had had an inkling that that's what they had been hiding from him ever since their repeated phone calls to him.

Looking at his hands, he said, "Dad, mum. I think you should give me some more time. I just recently got out of grieving for her. And my relationship with God just got back on track. I don't think I am ready for a relationship. At least, not yet. When I am, you'll be the first to know."

He looked up to see worry on their faces. His mum spoke first. This time, her eyes glistened with unshed tears.

"We didn't know, son. You didn't tell us. We always asked and you always said you were fine and everything was going on well."

"I'm sorry, mum. I just didn't want to burden you especially with the other things you had and still have to handle in the kingdom." He reached out to hold her hands and gave them a squeeze.

"We are sorry too. For not knowing you were in pain," his father said.

Tayo shook his head as he looked at his father. "No, dad. Don't blame yourselves. I should have told you too. I'm fine now though. I realized that I needed to get out of the grief and Godspower was been very instrumental in this."

"Ah, yes, Godspower. I'm glad you have him as a friend." His father smiled and patted his wife lovingly. She wiped the tears that had managed to escape her eyes and gave him a smile too.