Chapter 39: A Wish

This chapter is dedicated to andioopsksksk712 because they are always leaving me funny comments! You are always cracking me up! Thank you so much! 

I hope I got everybody, but this may be my last or one of my last dedicated chapters!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Previously...

"Geez, you're hopeless," he said, ignoring his better judgment as he grabbed her hand, pulling her along at his pace. He felt her hand relax for a second before her grip tightened and her fingers slipped through the spaces between his.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Drew had that odd look on his face again. She had especially noticed it more recently it seemed. It had been a few days since he had surprisingly held her hand and they had passed back through Len Town and stayed a night there. He appeared to be lost in thought but he looked a bit frustrated and tortured. It was possible he could be having nightmares again. It could even be something else. Either way, he was bothered, and she was worried.

She had plans to ask him later when they settled down for the night because he would be more likely to tell her then. Still, she tried so hard to stop being delusional every time he looked at her. She was the only person around so of course he was going to look at her every once in a while right? Her heart had no right to start beating faster and her stomach to get filled with butterflies.

She was imagining things. The longing in his eyes was a figment of her imagination, projected onto him by her own feelings. She wanted to be with him so bad. She wasn't sure if he actually had feelings for her or if she was misinterpreting his friendship. What she would give to be that special person for him. This infatuation was crushing.

She wanted to be impulsive and indulgent, but her moral side kept her in check. She didn't want to force herself on him or make him feel guilty. Her fingers were twitching, desperate to interlock with his like the other day. She held her hands together trying to force herself to behave. How was she able to not think about him this much beforehand? Maybe it was there all along, the contest just brought it to the foreground and made her realize it and acknowledge it for the first time.

But now that she knew it was there, she didn't know how to deal with it, what outlet she should use to let it out and not bottle everything in (other than indulging herself.) She fiddled with her thumbs for a minute before looking up to sneak a peek at him. He turned his head at the same time and their eyes made contact. May felt herself flush red as they both turned their gaze away from each other. But a second after, they both shyly looked again, her eyes meeting his for a small moment in time. She could see the hidden turmoil swirling in his eyes, before they finally broke eye contact once more.

It stayed quieter between them than usual as they walked along. Finally, the sun began to sink below the horizon. They found a place to stop for the night and they began to set up their tents. Drew excused himself quite early as he had done for a couple nights. However, May was determined to figure out what was up with him. Sure he would send her away if she asked, she just unzipped his tent and invited herself in without a warning.

"Geez! You scared me!" He exclaimed, a slightly annoyed expression on his face. "Why didn't you say anything?" He asked as she zipped the tent back up and plopped down next to him.

"Because you would have sent me away," she replied. After a moment, he sighed.

"So what do you need?" He asked tiredly. She leaned back on her hands.

"I've just been... a bit worried about you lately," she confessed. His expression softened.

"O-Oh," he said softly.

"You've just been lost in thought a bunch, and you look upset. I didn't know if you had another nightmare or something, but you've just been a bit off so..." she trailed off.

"I'm fine," he smiled bitterly.

"Clearly not. I've told you that you can talk to me, you know?" She said.

"Well, this isn't something talking can fix!" He snapped. She clenched her fist as her eyes stung.

"Well sorry for trying help then," she mumbled as she began to stand up.

"Wait!" He said quickly as he grabbed her wrist, pulling her back down. Their eyes met before he looked away and let out a frustrated sigh. He slowly loosened his grip until he let her go.

"Sorry I snapped at you," he apologized. "I'm not sure talking will help, I'm just trying to forget about it. That's for the best right now anyways," he said.

"For what it's worth, I don't think you should just forget something because it's something you don't like or it's inconvenient, every event that happens in your life is valuable and makes you who you are. Even the bad stuff," she advised. He covered his eyes with his hand as he shook his head.

"You aren't making this any easier on me," he groaned. His cheeks slightly red.

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to make it worse," she apologized.

"You're okay, it's just something that I'm trying to crush," he explained.

"Crush?"

"A hope," he said quietly.

"A hope? Why would you want to crush a hope?" May asked, shocked.

"Because it's an indulgent wish that I will never get to have because of what I have ahead of me," he smiled sadly.

"What is this wish?" She asked.

"It's a secret. They say if you tell someone your wish, it'll never come true," he said.

"So that means you're still holding onto that hope by not telling me! Fine, I guess you win!" She pouted. She laid back fully looking up at him at an angle. He looked at her from the corner of his eye before joining her laying down.

"I don't want you to leave," she said as she searched for his hand. When she found it, she laced their fingers together.

"I don't want to leave either," he said as his grip tightened in hers. It was quiet after that, and May started to feel herself drift off.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

I don't really have too much to say this time other than I hope you enjoyed this. I know I've been laying the Contestshipping on pretty hard the past few chapters but at the same time I'm trying not to do too much. I'm thinking next chapter they are going to finally be in Goldenrod City. Also, even though I don't mention it much because I tend to focus too much on the characters and not the Pokemon that much, they are training and stuff, I just don't mention it because I don't want it to take up too much chapter space plus I'm also lazy too XD. Anyways that's about all! As always, until next time!

YouDontKnowShipping