Chapter 24: A Temporary Trio

Previously...

"I'm going to try to sleep since I'm exhausted. Please try to get some sleep too, okay? You deserve it," May said kindly.

"Thanks. Good night," He said gratefully.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When morning came, May was surprised to find she had woken up before Drew. She couldn't blame him for sleeping in though. Yesterday had really bore down on him. May sat up in her bed and pulled her knees to her chest. She imagined that their traveling from now on would be a lot more risky with the arrival of the agents. The poor guy was probably stressed out of his mind.

Even in his sleep, his face was tense and scrunched up, his troubles following him. Knowing what she did now, it made sense how standoffish and guarded he was when they first met. He probably didn't want to get close to anyone in case he was brought back.

Suddenly, something dawned on her. It was strange how her feelings towards him had changed over the few years she had known him. When she first met him, she hated him. He was such a stuck up arrogant jerk on the surface.

Then he became her jerk rival, someone she strived to beat and be better than. When they started traveling together, things got confusing. He wasn't her rival anymore, but he wasn't exactly her friend. They were kind of just partners.

But now, even though it hadn't been that long, (they didn't even have any ribbons yet!) she had started considering him a friend somewhere along the lines. After he told her about his past, and after yesterday, as she looked towards him again, she realized that she had gained an overwhelming feeling of respect towards him.

It was brave of him to run away to do what he loved, despite the consequences. He never stopped running. He was determined to live his way while he had the chance before being forced into a life he didn't want. She didn't realize she was still staring at him until he stirred and began to sit up. May quickly snapped her head away from him and set her chin on her knees.

"Oh, you're up," he said surprised. His voice was scratchy from sleep. "What time is it?"

"Um, almost 10," May said, checking her PokeNav.

"Sorry. You been up long?" He asked.

"Nope, only a few minutes. After yesterday, I figured you probably needed your sleep, so I didn't try to wake you up," May said.

"Thanks. We should get ready and go eat," he said as he grabbed his bag and headed into the bathroom. After both of them had gotten ready, they headed downstairs to the eating area for breakfast. After getting food, they sat down in a booth next to a window.

"I'm sorry about yesterday," He muttered, apologizing.

"You have nothing to apologize for," she smiled brightly. He looked at her with his eyebrows raised.

"Nothing to apologize for!? May, it's my fault they're here in the first place! I can handle them on my own, but I shouldn't have dragged you into my mess," Drew said in frustration.

"It's fine! It's my fault you're traveling with me in the first place so let's just call it even, okay?" May reasoned.

"I don't know what they would even do to you, if they would hurt you, or drag you with us, or let you go, but I've got the feeling that it wouldn't be good," he sighed before running a hand through his hair. "Listen... I've been thinking... about going home," he said quietly. She felt her eyes widen.

"Drew!" She said in disbelief.

"After this Grand Festival I mean. I'm getting older and I have a feeling the older I get, the more desperate they will be to bring me back. Even recently, they've started to get more persistent and aggressive," he explained.