Chapter 53: A Trap

Previously...

No words were exchanged between the two of them as they left the contest hall. She had no doubt that Drew was well aware and probably mad at the mistake she had made by hesitating. Ever since the Wallace cup she had become less confident in herself, and if she didn't snap out of it she could ultimately cost them the Grand Festival. Even though he wouldn't speak to her right now, it's not like she could either. She didn't know what to say and she was too deep in a headspace of guilt and self pity to even try. So they just walked in silence back towards the Pokemon Center.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By the time they finished eating dinner and made it up to their room, it was a little after 6:30. They still hadn't really talked much during dinner other than a few words here and there. She still felt awful about the contest and that maybe a shower would make her feel a bit better. So May rummaged through her things to gather what she needed.

"Hey, I'm sorry,"

The apology caught her off guard and she froze. His tone was heavy with guilt. When she turned her head to look over her shoulder, he was making it a point to stare her right in the eyes.

"Why are you sorry?" She asked curiously, breaking the eye contact and turning back around.

"I've been a big jerk to you. I've been saying one thing and doing another, taking advantage of your feelings. I've got to get my own under control because I know I'm only hurting you right now. I don't want our feelings to get in the way of our partnership but I know my actions as of recently have been upsetting you," he said softly. May sighed and set her clothes down, turning around to face him.

"You say you want me, but that you can't have me. The only thing that's stopping this is you! How many times do I have to say that you don't have to torture yourself like this? I understand that you are trying to make the smartest decision, that you want to make it somewhat easier when you leave, but think about it this way. Would you regret it? Would you regret not giving in to your heart for once in your life?" She said exasperatedly.

"I've got the rest of my life to try and get used to not getting to have you. Please, don't make it harder for me than it already is," he said, avoiding her gaze and running his hand through his hair in frustration.

"So that's your final decision then? You won't give this a chance?" She asked, a heavy weight settling on her chest, it made her throat tighten. He was only silent. She had never seen him look like that, his head turned away and looking down, his face scrunched in some sort of agony.

"I-," he took in a deep breath. "I can't," she knew how he was going to respond, but it still hurt, just like the times before that they'd talked about it.

"Okay," she said dully before scooping up her clothes and heading towards the bathroom. Before she entered, she stopped in the doorframe. She turned around and locked eyes with him. Her stomach churned. "I can work on accepting that this is where we are going to stand, but you've got to stop acting like you want me when you don't. We'll just find ourselves back here again and again and again," she closed the door behind her before she could see his reaction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Of course things didn't magically get better.

In a different regard, they actually got worse.

She was running as fast as she could through the thicket and around the trees, trying to keep Drew's back in sight. They had gotten too lax and when they had least expected it, those men Drew's family had hired popped out of nowhere once again. They didn't have much of a head start this time and it didn't take long for them to catch up to her. She was breathing heavily, but let out a scared shriek when one of them grabbed her by the wrist and yanked her backwards. She kicked and struggled as the large man picked her up. He had one arm holding her neck to his chest, while the other was tight around her stomach.