Chapter 8: Tension

Previously...

He silently left as he had come, leaving her there as she pulled her clothes out of her bag and into the wash. After her spectacle, things were sure to be awkward, but also, whatever the heck that was earlier was definitely messing with her head. What was going on with her?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The next couple of hours had been excruciating. She had finished doing the laundry, however, the air around them was still stiff. When either of them tried to speak it felt awkward and forced, so at a certain point, they had both decided to go silent. It got to an unbearable point to where May decided she had to get out of the room to get some air.

"I'm going on a walk," she announced, capturing Drew's attention from the book he was reading. She had no idea how he kept managing to find books to read everywhere they stayed. With a roll of her eyes, she checked to make sure she had her keycard before leaving the room. It was like she could feel the pressure lift from her chest the further she got away from the room. She already felt much better.

She made her way down the stairs and into the battle arena room. She decided to watch from the sidelines to observe the tactics used by the trainers for inspiration for possible future appeal routines. She thought about the Pokemon she had brought with her, Blaziken, Squirtle, Eevee, Skitty, Beautifly, and Munchlax. Keeping them in mind, she turned her focus to the battle going on between two trainers.

The trainer on the left side of the arena was using a Starmie while the trainer on the right side was using a Breloom. She watched as the Breloom let out a powerful seed bomb attack, sending many of the seeds towards the Starmie.

"Use rapid spin to dodge!" Starmie's trainer said, a girl with blond hair in a ponytail. The Starmie began to spin and gain speed before dodging the attack and swinging around to hit the Breloom and continuing on its path back in front of its trainer. She made a mental note that squirtle knew rapid spin, and that it could be used as a dodge and attack in one. The Breloom looked a bit thrown off, as was its trainer, a younger boy with brown hair.

"mach punch Breloom!" He exclaimed. The Breloom pulled its arm back to charge up the attack as it charged towards the Starmie.

"Starmie, Psychic!" The blonde trainer countered. The Breloom was stopped in its tracks as a magenta beam came from the jewel in the middle of Starmie. It was lifted in the air and spun around before bashed into the floor twice. The Breloom managed to get up at his trainer begging, but it was worse for wear.

Using psychic that way was probably a bit too reckless and violent to be used in a contest battle, it would probably cause her to lose points if she tried to use it. Still, Starmie's trainer was clearly skilled. The playing field was equal, both Pokemon were weak to each other, Starmie was weak to the grass type attacks, while Breloom was weak to Starmie's psychic type attacks, but she had the skill to gain the upper hand.

"Breloom! Seed Bomb again!" The brown haired trainer said.

"Quick Starmie! Ice beam on the ground! Get out of range!" Starmie's trainer said as the Starmie aimed an ice beam at the ground, created a pillar of ice underneath it, causing Breloom's attack to miss.

"Now ice beam again, this time on Breloom!" Starmie's trainer said. The Starmie let out the attack, freezing the breloom in ice.

"Psychic!" She called out. The Starmie levitated the Breloom in the air before smashing it into the ground again, shattering the ice around Breloom. The Breloom didn't get up after that.

"Breloom return!" The boy said as he held out his pokeball the red beam encasing the Breloom before it disappeared. The ice beam dodge stood out to May, definitely something she could experiment with. She was shaken out of her thoughts by a familiar voice.