Chapter 30: Gotcha!

Previously...

"I'll be fine, just a bit banged up," he said. She had a few little scrapes on her arms and legs, but they weren't that bad. She had dirt smeared on her right cheek, and several flyways had escaped from her bandana. She was a mess. But she was beautiful. He tore his gaze away from her and reached into his bag.

"We've gotta get you fixed up," he said as he brought out the first aid kit.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bulbasaur made it to the bottom of the hill and wrapped one of her vines around May's wrist comfortingly as Drew rummaged through the first aid kit. There were only 3 scratches that were bleeding, and Drew began to wipe off her knee. She put her hand over his. His head shot up to look at her with a confused expression as she took the cloth from his hand.

"Thank you, but I can take care of it," she said with a smile. He looked away, not saying anything, just grabbing her bandaids from the kit. She took them gratefully and attended her scrapes. As she was finishing, Drew was about to put the kit up.

"Drew?"

"Hmn?"

She reached her hand out and pulled some of his hair to the side to reveal the cut on his forehead.

"You're bleeding," she said.

"Oh? I didn't even notice," he said sheepishly. He opened the kit back up. She sighed guiltily.

"Again, I'm really sorry! I've got to figure how to get Skitty in control when it gets like this, I guess I'm not that great of a trainer after all," she pulled her knees to her chest and rested her chin on them.

"Hey, it's okay, I mean, take Cyndaquil for example. He rarely ever listens to me. Sometimes it's just the Pokémon's personality, it's not always the fault of the trainer," he said. She smiled softly.

"You know, you've really mellowed out these past few months,"

"Oh really? How so?" He asked, not convinced.

"Well, if it had been when we first met, or even a year ago, you would've told me that I wasn't a good trainer because I couldn't control Skitty. You were pretty cold back then,"

"Well yeah, I also didn't really want to drag anybody into my mess, so I was standoff-ish. I've only really let my guard down around Solidad and you," he said.

"You're also a lot nicer than you were before. When we started traveling together, I thought for sure that we would fight all the time. You were still the jerk rival, but you also were becoming less of a jerk? Then I guess I got comfortable. It's really only come to mind a few times recently, but somewhere along the lines, I started actually considering you a friend,"

"Weirdo, of course we're friends," he scoffed as he put up the first aid kit and stood up. He offered her his hand and she took it. He helped her up beside him.

"Well, not just any friend... my best friend," she said shyly. He looked at her in shock.

"I know it's a bit childish, the whole best friend thing-" he interrupted her by putting his hand on her head.

"No I get it. You're the closest person to me, the only one I've ever told about my situation," he said as they began to walk back up the hill.

"So does that make us BFFs?" She asked jokingly.

"Never say that again," Drew deadpanned. She giggled softly.

"I knew you wouldn't like that,"

"So why'd you say it?"

"To get a reaction," she said smugly.

"You're so annoying," he scowled.

"And you're no fun," she stuck her tongue out at him playfully.

"Excuse me, I am fun," he said, offended.

"Suuuuure you are," she rolled her eyes.

"Honestly you're so-" she smirked before shoving him and running ahead.

"Oh yeah? Just try and catch me!" She said putting her hands next to her head and waving them tauntingly.

"You're so on!" He sprinted after her. She squealed and continued to run up the hill. They reached the top and headed back into the woods to find the path. May stayed in the lead with Drew not too far behind her. She smiled smugly. He wasn't going to get her. But just as she finished that thought, two arms wrapped around her stomach, pulling her back into someone. She squealed as she was captured and broke into a fit of laughter. She felt a hot breath next to her ear.

"Gotcha!" he said softly, before laughing along. He let go of her and they stood for a moment catching their breath.

"You won't win next time!" She said determinedly, pointing a finger at him.

"We'll see about that," he smirked.

Once night had fallen, the two set up their camp for the night. It was much colder that evening then it had been in a while and May sat outside her tent shivering. Drew emerged from his tent and sat down smugly next to her.

"What's that face for?" She asked him.

"Cold?" He answered with a question.

"No, I feel like I'm on the Slateport beach!" She said sarcastically.

"Well I was going to do something nice for you, but nevermind," he said.

"Oh, really?" She asked.

"I'll be back," he said as he got back up and went into his tent. He came back out a minute later trying to hide something behind his back.

"Here," he said as he tossed a soft dark blue sweatshirt at her. It was the same one she forced him to get in Slateport City two months ago.

"Mmph!" The sweatshirt landed on her head. She slowly put it on, as if he was going to demand it back any second.

"Hey, aren't you ever going to wear this?" She asked him as she pulled her head through.

"It hasn't been cold enough," he answered.

"Whatever," she mumbled and pulled the sweatshirt over her knees. It was a lot bigger on her than she expected it to be. She didn't really register how much taller he was than her now, but the sweatshirt engulfed her. Drew sat back down next to her.

"You ready for this next contest?" He asked.

"For sure! We'll definitely win! And all the ones after!" She said determinedly with a yawn.

"We're a much stronger team than we were before," he said. She looked at him through squinted eyes and nodded. She let out another yawn and tried to fight the sleep off. Her eyelids kept closing on their own until she felt her cheek rest against something solid and warm and she drifted off.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

Wow. Chapter 30. 30!!! This is such a huge story and I'm overwhelmed XD. I'm planning on trying to pick up the pace. I wanted to have more minor and insignificant moments that just build up their relationship but it's seriously been 30 chapters and they haven't even won a ribbon yet XD. My prediction as of now is that this might end up at least being 50 chapters?

Anyways, I hope you like this chapter! I told you from now on there would be more contestshipping! Thank you for sticking with me for the past 30 chapters! I also decided I wanted to do a little something for those who are always commenting and supporting me so the next chapters are going to be dedicated to them to show my appreciation! But of course I appreciate you all! Anyways! Until next time!

YouDontKnowShipping