Chapter 9: It's Decided

Previously...

She felt her heart clinch for a moment until she was broken out of the moment. Eevee had jumped up on Drew's bed and was barking at him sassily, most likely in defense of its trainer. That was until Absol picked up Eevee by the neck in its mouth and set it on the ground. The squabble was forgotten as they both began to laugh.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The tension between them had significantly decreased, but May had gotten frustrated with herself. It seemed she just kept making things awkward between them in the time they spent traveling. It made her remember when he said he was considering ditching her.

She didn't have too much of a problem with it when he first mentioned it. Not that she hated him, at least not anymore, their relationship had improved over time since the day they had first met on the beach. But the more time she spent with him, the more she started to enjoy his company, even if he was a stuck up jerk most of the time.

She started to worry that her ability to always make things awkward would push him away. She was a little bit scared that he would leave her on her own. Not that she couldn't handle herself, but the idea of it stung a little more than it probably should have.

She tried to shove it down. They had one more night on the ship, and the next day, late morning, they would be in Cherrygrove City. That was enough time to keep the peace, but still, he potentially could ditch her at any time.

She shifted uncomfortably until she ended up sitting up in her bed. She had woken up early, even before Drew, and she couldn't fall back asleep, so her thoughts ran rampant. She covered her face with her hands before letting out a deep breath in frustration. She hated how much she was thinking about it and letting it bother her when there wasn't much she could do about it. She heard shuffling from where Drew was sleeping, she dropped her hands and watched as he got up, he looked at her looking at him. A shocked expression came over his face before it was erased by a smirk.

"You're up early, I'm impressed," he said, his voice much deeper than usual, brought down by the morning haze. That was another thing too, not only had he grown much taller than her, his voice had finally transitioned from a childish pitch to a much lower sound, his fangirls really loved that. Every word he would say, they would hang on to it as if it was their lifeline and squeal at just the sound of his voice. That was completely ridiculous to May, she felt embarrassed for those girls who clearly did not possess the shame for their actions. He was a person, not a God, but that didn't matter to them.

"Hello? Is anyone in there? You on the moon, space cadet?" Drew asked, waving a hand in front of her face, suddenly closer than she remembered him being before being absorbed in her thoughts. She snapped back into reality.

"10-4 Houston, we've successfully landed," She replied back.

"What?" He asked, confused about her response.

"I don't know," May shrugged.

"Anyway, why are you up so early?" He asked, stepping back to sit back down on his bed.

"Oh, I just woke up a little bit ago, and I couldn't fall back asleep," she explained.

"Something on your mind?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Oh it's nothing, I'm just being stupid," she said, forcing a smile. He eyed her suspiciously.

"Okay, if you're sure," he said, leaving it open ended Incase she wanted to say something. It was clear that he knew she was lying by his expression, but she could tell he didn't feel like it was his place. It was true, it's not like they were super close or anything, especially not after what she had done. She was surprised they were even getting along this well. He walked into the kitchen before throwing a granola bar at her. Unfortunately, it hit her in the face, which surprised her into hitting her head against the wall.