Chapter 29: Bruises

Previously...

"We'll cross that line when we get to it. We've only just started here, we've still got far to go," he made it clear that he didn't want to talk about anymore, and truthfully, she didn't want to either. Even just thinking about it made her upset. The thought of Drew leaving and never coming back... never seeing him again. She didn't want that. She didn't want that at all.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

He watched from the corner of his eye as May started taking her tent down. She'd forgotten to put on her green bandana and her hair was hanging loosely at her shoulders. He chuckled to himself as he focused back on his own tent and May looked over at him.

"What're you laughing about?" She asked. He smirked at her before walking over and crouching down next to her.

"I guess this is the first time I realized you actually have more hair under that bandana," he reached out a hand and gently grabbed her fringe and let it slide through his fingers. "You know, other than these dog ears,"

"Of course I have more hair! I keep it pinned up that's why! Also, these aren't dog ears!" She fumed. He grinned mischievously at her.

"Ugh! You're just the worst!" She grumbled as she began to roll her tent up.

"You should try wearing your hair down more often. It looks really nice on you," he said softly. She snapped her head towards him in surprise, a soft blush dusted her cheeks and he realized what he'd said.

"Not that you don't look nice or anything normally!" He corrected, waving his hands uncharacteristically. He was just making it worse. He had already decided he wouldn't let his feelings take over because it would only cause both of them hurt. Yet here he was flirting with her!?

"Thanks, that's nice of you. But, I don't know. I've always worn my hair up because I'm insecure about it,"

"Really?"

"Well, it's pretty thin, and it doesn't grow very long. The longest it grows is a little past my shoulders, so I just hide it instead," she said quietly, playing with the ends of her hair.

"For what it's worth, I think your hair's pretty as it is, but if you don't feel comfortable showing it, that's okay too," he said, putting a hand on top of her head comfortingly. She smiled up at him.

"Thanks," she had a slight bit of red on her cheeks that he passed off as from the slight chill that morning. They finished packing up and continued on their way to Len Town.

"So what's our plan for this contest? What Pokémon are we using?" May asked him after a while.

"I'm thinking of this being Cyndaquil's debut," Drew said.

"Hmm, okay, what about Cyndaquil and Bulbasaur?" May suggested. He raised an eyebrow.

"That could be an interesting combo," he said thoughtfully.

"Bulbasaur knows vine whip, tackle, razor leaf, and petal dance," May provided.

"Cyndaquil knows smokescreen, ember, tackle, and flame charge," he said. They walked in silence as they tried to come up with ideas.

"We need an appeal routine that creates a balance between the two instead of Cyndaquil overpowering Bulbasaur with its fire," May said.

"Smokescreen isn't typically used in an appeal routine, so if we can incorporate it effectively, it would cause our routine to stand out,"

"We could start off with a smokescreen and have them break through it?" May suggested.

"That's a start,"

"Oh! What if Bulbasaur launches Cyndaquil in the air with its vines and Cyndaquil lets out the smokescreen?"

"Then Bulbasaur can clear through the smoke with a petal dance?" He added.

"Then we could have Bulbasaur use razor leaf and Cyndaquil use ember and have them spin around. The leaves and embers could create a final shower of sparkles?"

"It's worth a shot, we can try it out when we set up camp tonight," he said.

"Sounds good! Which speaking of which, I haven't even let Bulbasaur out yet! Yesterday was kind of a whirl," she said as she rummaged around until producing a pokeball. She threw it, letting out her Bulbasaur.

"Bulba!" She cried and reached out a vine to May, wrapping it around her wrist as if they were holding hands.

"How are you Bulbasaur? I missed you!" May asked as she crouched down next to her.

"Bulba! Bulbasaur!" She said happily.

"Did you have a good time at Professor Oak's lab with Ash's Bulbasaur?"

"Saur!" The grass type said.

"I'm so glad! We've got a contest coming up! Are you ready?" She asked. A determined look came over the Pokémon's face.

"Saur Saur!

"Good to hear it!" She beamed. Suddenly, one of her Pokeballs burst open.

"NYAH!" Skitty cried as it came out, beginning to run circles around Bulbasaur. She didn't seem to know what to do, her eyes following the Skitty until they became swirls.

"Skitty! No! Get back in your pokeball!" May exclaimed as she tried to return it but the beam missed. Drew tried to scoop the pink cat Pokemon up but it jumped through his arms and bounced off his head, jetting off behind him.

"Come back!" May shouted as they started chasing it. They broke through the tree line into an open field, Drew was a bit ahead of her but she followed closely behind. The field was quite hilly and rugged with lots of rocks on the ground. They were coming up on a particularly large hill when Drew stumbled as he tripped over a rock. May, still going full speed crashed into him from behind. He started falling sideways and May landed on his chest, facing him. She latched her hands to the fabric of his shirt as he instinctively wrapped his arms tightly around her, bringing her closer than anyone had ever been to him. They went tumbling down the hill, getting plenty of bruises on the way. They landed hard at the bottom, May on top of Drew. She immediately scrambled off of him.

"I'm so sorry! If I had only been paying more attention!" She apologized.

"I was the one who tripped," he said as he sat up, wincing at his back. Skitty had run back towards them, concerned.

"You troublemaker! Back in your ball!" May exclaimed furiously as she returned the Pokemon. Skitty didn't put up a fight. She sighed.

"If only I had more control over Skitty, this wouldn't have happened. You took the brunt of it, are you okay?" She asked.

"I'll be fine, just a bit banged up," he said. She had a few little scrapes on her arms and legs, but they weren't that bad. She had dirt smeared on her right cheek, and several flyways had escaped from her bandana. She was a mess. But she was beautiful. He tore his gaze away from her and reached into his bag.

"We've gotta get you fixed up," he said as he brought out the first aid kit.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

So a few weeks ago, I was rereading a Stocky Parker Dog fanfic about if Drew was in Destiny Deoxys, and there was a scene where Drew and May rolled down a hill (but it was much cuter) and I was like, I have to do it!! But mine's a bit different. Also, you're going to wanna buckle up because yeah, while it's seemingly early in the story, they've known each other for a long time before this and now that they're actually getting along great and Drew has acknowledged his feelings, there's going to be a lot more contestshipping moments. Hopefully I do this right!

Also I had SUCH a hard time with this chapter name and I'm still not satisfied with it, but this is it for now.

My school is all online right now and I hate it and I'm tired. But here I am with another chapter! Actually on time! I hope you guys enjoyed! Until next time!

YouDontKnowShipping