Chapter 13: Apologies

Previous...

A soft smile took over his face before he realized it. She looked so peaceful. He decided he deserved to let his guilt swallow him up for the night and he would apologize to her in the morning.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

May woke up as the sun shone right into one of her eyes, heating her face. Her Eevee and Skitty quickly stirred with her and began to chase each other around in circles. She smiled at their playfulness as her Skitty pounced on top of her Eevee. Eevee cried out in surprise as it fell over from the force.

"Alright you two, that's enough," she said softly before grabbing their pokeballs from her belt that was resting against her bag and returning them. As she attached them back to the belt, a slip of green caught her eye from within her bag. She pulled it out to find her new bandana. In all of the craziness that had ensued over the past several days, she had completely forgotten about the new clothes she had bought for herself. In her defense, those trainer bags looked small, but she swore she could fit a whole bike in there and then some.

She pulled out the rest of the new orange black and green outfit and lastly the fanny pack. She was hesitant at first. This did seem to be her signature outfit, but it was getting old. It only took her a few minutes before she was brushing her hair and tying her new black, white, and orange shoes. She unzipped her tent and finished typing her bandana to her head as she stepped out. That's when she saw Drew.

He was crouched down in front of Cyndaquil looking frustrated at the Pokemon. She could tell Cyndaquil was in the middle of a big scolding. She felt bad for him really. She didn't think he had the patience in him to deal with Cyndaquil's crazy energy. Suddenly, Cyndaquil noticed May and let out a reet of happiness before jumping onto Drew's leg and climbing up his arm before jumping from his shoulder to the top of his head.

She was still upset about whatever happened last night, but when she had started crying, she knew that it was unfair of her to force him to confide in her. They weren't friends. Were they friends? They weren't rivals anymore, but they didn't really seem to be friends either. One moment they'd get along fine, maybe even some playful banter, but then the next they're bickering or yelling at each other. Their relationship was having an identity crisis, friends or rivals? At this point it seemed to be neither.

He finally stood up and looked at her, giving up as Cyndaquil settled in comfortably as if Drew's head was the most comfortable thing in the world. Their eyes met. That was the worst she had ever seen him. Tired dark purple lines and puffy bags under his eyes. He looked exhausted. She lost her good morning that was just on the tip of her tongue. Instead she said the first thing that came into her mind.

"Wow. You look horrible," she said honestly.

"Gee, thanks May," he deadpanned.

"I'm sorry about last night, I shouldn't have pried so much, I get that you don't trust me, it's okay," she apologized. He sighed deeply as he detached Cyndaquil from his head and kept him in a tight hold against his chest.

"You don't really need to apologize, I was a real jerk last night. It's just something I can't really tell anyone, I don't want to drag anyone into my problems. I get defensive very easily and it has nothing to do with you, it's all to do with me so don't worry about it," he said.

"Well if you're sure... but I also said some mean things I shouldn't have. I'm sorry," she said.

"It's fine, I deserved it, it helped serve as a wake up call to snap me out of it," he said.

"So are you going to tell me why you look like you didn't sleep a wink last night?" May asked. He looked surprised for a moment at the question, but if her eyes weren't deceiving her, she could see the slightest of redness in his cheeks.

"It's nothing, just couldn't get back to sleep," he brushed it off before trying to escape into his tent.

"Sure, whatever, keep your dumb secrets and emotions to yourself, but you can't explode on me when it gets to be too much because you refuse to rely on people who want to be there for you," she said before turning on her heel back to her tent to pack up. She briefly looked back over her shoulder to see him with his hand covering his eyes and forehead in what seemed to be frustration.

She hadn't meant to get a little upset again at him, but still, why couldn't that idiot see she just wanted to be friends with him. Guess a rival is always a rival. She wondered bitterly if he had told Solidad about his issues. Then she remembered Solidad saying that they never touched on personal subjects, they just talked about other coordinators. Her face seemed to heat up as she remembered Solidad saying Drew had started talking about her, and only her.

"I think he likes you,"

Those words echoed in her mind making her feel weird inside. There's no way that it could be true. Sure Solidad knew him better than she did, but, Solidad said they never talked about personal stuff. She's wrong. Drew couldn't like her. Especially with the way he's acted towards her for the time they had been traveling together.

She was sure he only started talking about her because though he had made fun of her constantly when she had started out, but then she proved herself to become a worthy rival. She was sure he was angry or something when he had started talking about her, probably saying stuff like she had no talent but was suddenly improving and his frustration of giving him a run for his money.

What could Solidad know about Drew's innermost romantic feelings?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

Sorry if this feels short to you guys, it's just barely over a thousand words but I finished this chapter super late because I had a lot going on and didn't even realize I hadn't finished the chapter I needed to. It's Saturday and I still have to write the next chapter so that I can be one ahead again so I don't have to stress about getting a chapter done before a deadline.

Anyways, with the announcement of Percy Jackson getting a Disney Plus live action show, I got back into it and oh my gosh, I think I love it more now than I did when I first read it. I hope they continue it, so do Heroes of Olympus, and I definitely want a Kane Chronicles because those books are SUPER good and I need to reread them. Anyways, so I've had a couple ideas for some Percy Jackson one shots or something, don't know if I'll post it.

I also got into the Lightning Thief musical, and I'm not a big musical theater kid, I used to be back in 7th grade, you're looking at the girl who got the lead role! I'm not really a big fan of show tunes. My friends at the time were always forcing some song from Hamilton mostly or Heathers or Les Mis, but I couldn't really get into it. Anyways, The Lightning Thief musical is actually really good. I was iffy about it when I first gave it a listen, but once I decided to listen through it a second time, I absolutely fell in love with it. Luke hurt me so much... Anyways, that's enough ranting for now. Until next time!

YouDontKnowShipping