Chapter 21: Trust

Previously...

He just smirked to himself. They didn't even know a thing. He and May weren't going to give up. They were going to win the Grand Festival and those jokers would be eating their words later. They headed back to the Pokemon Center, not feeling so bad about their loss anymore, but determined to show the world they could work together.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The next day, she and Drew were on the road again. The next contest was in Azalea Town which was south of Violet City, down Route 32, Union Cave and Route 33. The next contest was in about a month and hopefully, they would win the ribbons.

They were setting up camp for the night, and after the tents were set up, May was working with her Squirtle on its new attack, aqua tail, because it was seeming to struggle with the move. Drew stood a ways away, tending to the fire he had started, trying to get it steady. Night was quickly approaching, and the sky was gold as the sun started to sink below the tree line. He watched her as she encouraged her Squirtle after it failed again and burst into tears. He smiled at her gentle display towards the Pokemon before grabbing his bag to fish out something for them to eat.

He wasn't much of a cook, and neither was May. They also didn't have room to carry around copious amounts of food with them to cook. They ended up picking lots of berries on the road to eat just because they really didn't have much food. He pulled out a couple protein bars for them and watched as May returned her Squirtle and started walking towards him. She sat down to the left of him and he tossed her one.

"Thanks," she said half heartedly.

"I know I know, they taste horrible, but unless you want to fall over dead..." Drew said. May sighed before taking a bite.

"I love food, but this can't be qualified as such, it's like just barely edible," she complained. He raised an annoyed eyebrow.

"Sorry, sorry," she laughed. Silence settled in between them, filled by the crackling of the fire.

"You know, I was thinking... about the contest yesterday," he started.

"What about it?" She asked.

"Well, I can't help feeling like it was my fault that we weren't in sync," he said.

"Why do you say that?" May asked, her brows furrowed.

"Well, remember that night a few weeks ago? I shut you out because I hadn't told anybody about it before. I don't know, but I haven't really shown that I trust you, and I think that's holding us back," he explained.

"If you don't want to tell me, it's okay, you don't have to force yourself to trust me. I understand," May said quickly.

"No, it's fine. It's probably not good to have kept it to myself for so long," he said wryly. "Anyways, you know that crazy technology company in La Rousse you've talked about?" He asked.

"Yeah?" She answered cautiously.

"Well, my parents are the head of that company," he said quietly.

"Oh wow! Seriously! That's awesome!" She exclaimed. He smiled sourly.

"Well I'm the heir of the company. I'm going to be taking over someday as the head," he exclaimed.

"That's really cool!" May said.

"Not really. My whole life up until a few years ago was learning how to run the company, and how to put up a front. It was torture. Private lessons everyday. I had no friends. It's probably why I have such a hard time making real friends because... I never really learned how. I was lonely and isolated and miserable. I didn't have the time to even be a kid while I could," he revealed, a disdainful look on his face.

"Then, one day, I was dropped off in a maid's room because my mother didn't want to deal with me. The maid had been taking a break and watching the Grand Festival and I remember just being in awe of it. I knew that was what I wanted to do. Then I told my mother that I wanted to be a coordinator. She was not happy with me and told me that I had to stay there and take over the company. I didn't have time for stupid delusions. I was 8 at the time," May looked horrified by his story.

For 4 years after, that desire to be a coordinator just wouldn't go away. I was gifted a Budew when I was 10 by my parents and I began to practice with it, pretending I was a coordinator. My mother of course, was not happy. I finally just couldn't take it anymore, and I ran away to become a coordinator. But I should have known it wasn't going to be easy. My parents hired a few men to track me down. I couldn't participate in the Grand Festival that year because they caught up to me and brought me back home. They were furious with me, naturally. I escaped again the next year, and then I met you. Now that I know that they're after me, I'm much more careful. But I'm always paranoid that I'll be brought back home," he finished.

"So why you were later to my house than you wanted to be, and why we had to ride on Flygon to Slateport City... that was because those guys caught up to us?" She asked.

"Yeah... my parents don't want it to be public knowledge that their prodigy ran away from home, so they're trying to bring me back quietly," he explained.

"But, wouldn't people recognize you if it's such a big company?" May asked. He smirked.

"I have my mother to thank for that not happening. We all have naturally green hair, but my mother thought that it was unprofessional, so she and my dad dyed their hair brown. She also dyed my hair brown as well. It's also been years since the public saw me as Andrew Hayden. I've grown since then, and wear my hair naturally and longer than my mother would have ever permitted it. It's harder to recognize me than you would think. The only reason I'm thankful for what she did to me," he said bitterly towards the end.

"I'm sorry about that," May said sweetly.

"I don't want pity. It's all I've ever known so it's fine. That doesn't mean I agree with it though," he sighed. "Anyways, that's all," he said.

"I'm just surprised that you ran away. You don't really seem like the type," May said.

"You try living with my mother and then check back in with me," he said seriously.

"That bad?" She asked. He nodded in confirmation. She frowned.

"So now you get why I'm uptight all the time. Anyways, I hope this helps with our partnership, otherwise, I'm actually kind of embarrassed..." he trailed off before looking down and dragging his left hand down the left side of his face in response.

"Thank you for being vulnerable with me. I'm sure it was hard," May said. He nodded.

"I think I'm going to turn in, I'm exhausted," he confessed before leaving her by the fire and entering his tent. He laid down and put his arms against his forehead.

"Why did I want to tell her that?" He mumbled to himself, his face burning in embarrassment. He then covered his face with his hands. His was feeling the after effects of his nerves from the earlier conversation.

"What is happening to me?" He whispered to himself.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

IT'S REVEALED! What do you guys think? I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I probably couldn't have waited to write this chapter until much but I just could wait anymore and I felt I needed to reveal it finally. I hope this isn't stupid XD. Anyways, until next time!

YouDontKnowShipping