Chapter 46: Distance

Previously...

"I don't want to hear it anymore, I know," she whispered into his shoulder, clenching her fists into the fabric of his shirt tighter. It was just so unfair. She really wished they could be together for the time she had left with him, it seemed as though she wasn't going to be able to convince him of letting that happen though. If only he had been born to another family. She just had to fall for the guy who was so close yet so far out of her reach.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To say it was awkward between then was a huge understatement. They had hardly spoken to each other after she confessed her feelings for him only to be rejected. It hurt everytime she looked at him, and it only felt worse knowing he was holding himself back from her. The day after, she met up with Solidad and told her about the situation.

"Hold on. So he told you he liked you back, but he rejected you?" She asked in surprise.

"Yeah..." she trailed off. She couldn't tell Solidad about the part where he was leaving.

"I guess he really believed that didn't he?" Solidad said in disbelief to herself.

"Believed what?" May asked, confused.

"Yesterday I forced Drew to tell me that he liked you. I asked him why he wouldn't confess. Don't tell him I told you or I'm sure he'll be embarrassed, but he said that he wasn't good enough for you, that you deserve someone much better than him," Solidad said. May was in shock as tears began to prick at her eyes.

"He really said that?" She asked. She began to piece parts of it together. He probably thought he wasn't good enough and that she deserved somebody better because he wouldn't be able to stay with her. Whatever they tried, their story would just end in them saying goodbyes. He wanted her to find somebody who would always be by her side and never have to leave her. She was mostly surprised though that out of the two of them, she had been the selfish one in this situation, wanting to take all that she could get.

"Are you okay?" Solidad asked as she placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," she said reassuringly. Harley suddenly came out of nowhere a few minutes later, scolding Solidad for leaving him by himself and challenging May to a rematch. She figured she could blow off some steam in a good battle. Solidad refereed the match. It was Banette vs Ivysaur. When May got backed into a corner, her Ivysaur suddenly evolved and blasted Banette back with a powerful razor leaf. After the turn around, she won the battle, leaving Harley even more bitter towards her.

Before she knew it, she had a ticket in her hand and was walking with Drew towards the Goldenrod City harbor. They didn't talk the whole way, leaving them shrouded in awkward silence. Internally she was screaming at herself to say something, but every time she tried to open her mouth, the words died in her throat.

"Have fun," Drew as they stopped right by the boarding bridge.

"Thanks, I'll see you when I get back," she said. She took a step back, taking him in one more time before waving her hand and turning away to walk on the ship. It was the first time she would be separate from him since they began traveling together a few months ago. It felt weird being alone, even though they hadn't spoken much since her confession. She had grown used to his presence and now she just felt like she was missing something without him. Sighing, she looked down to study her ticket.

"Goldenrod to Snowpoint City huh?" She mused to herself as she walked around a corner only to accidentally bump into somebody.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" May apologized quickly as the person she bumped into began to giggle.

"No it's fine, I happened to be lost in thought so I wasn't paying attention," she laughed. May finally took in the woman's appearance. She was maybe a year or two older than Solidad, with wavy long black hair, powder blue eyes and pale skin. Her outfit was also shades of icy blue. Suddenly, she heard snarling from below to see a Pokemon she had never seen before. It was fox-like with an icy blue complexion to match its trainer. If she didn't know better, she thought it looked like..

"Glaceon! It was just an accident! Calm down!" The woman laughed as her Pokemon, Glaceon, backed down but still kept its eyes narrowed in on May.

"Sorry about my Glaceon! He's a little over protective and can be a bit aggressive! It's the ice typing's effect. You wouldn't believe when he was an Eevee what a scaredy-cat he was!" She chuckled.

"Eevee?" May asked, her suspicion right, that this was an Eeveelution. It was then her Eevee popped out to say hello.

"Oh! I see you have an Eevee as well! Have you considered what you want to evolve it into?" The woman asked.

"Uhh, not really? I've thought maybe something like Espeon could be really cool?" May said sheepishly.

"Well I definitely recommend Glaceon! Of course, I am an ice type trainer. My name's Yuki by the way!" She said sticking out her hand.

"I'm May," she said as she shook Yuki's hand.

"I didn't just want to decide for Eevee though, I think it's important for it to have a choice too," May said as she watched her Eevee began inspecting Glaceon curiously, twitching its nose as it sniffed the ice type. Glaceon was wary and uncertain of what it should do in this situation so it ended up just letting Eevee check it out.

"That's very considerate of you, I wonder if I'd given him a choice if he would have chosen ice or not." Yuki said thoughtfully.

"Bwee bwee!" Eevee said cheerfully as it began to run circles around a dizzy looking Glaceon.

"Alright you!" May said as she picked Eevee up who happily stayed in her arms.

"Ice may be a bit of a fragile type, but it can be powerful if used right, I'd like you to consider it at least," Yuki said.

"Hmm... what do you think Eevee?" May asked as Eevee tilted its head up at her curiously.

"What do you think of becoming a Glaceon?" May asked. Eevee began yapping excitedly.

"Is that a yes then?" May asked through laughter.

"Bweeeee!" Eevee cried ecstatically.

"Well, if you want to evolve Eevee into Glaceon, you need to find the Icy Rock," Yuki said.

"The Icy Rock?"

"It's located on route 217, south of Snowpoint City. The area is almost always under a heavy blizzard so it's quite treacherous. Once you make it there, all Eevee has to do is touch the rock to evolve," Yuki said.

"Thank you so much!" May said gratefully.

"Anyways, I've got to go, but I hope to see you around May," Yuki said as she waved goodbye and headed down the hallway.

"Come on Eevee, return!"

So Glaceon, huh?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

Thank you guys so much for your sweet and supportive comments last week! I was scared this chapter wasn't going to happen because I started new classes this week and they gave me all my hard classes this semester so I've had a lot of work to do and it's only been like 3 days in. It has really sucked! I didn't want to let you guys down but luckily I had enough time for a chapter! Sorry about evolving Venusaur in a very anticlimactic way, but it needed to happen so that's it. I struggled with the chapter title because it's a lot about Glaceon, but decided to go with distance instead. Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and until next time!

YouDontKnowShipping

Also, I wanted to say thank you for 10k reads! That means a lot to me!