Chapter 36: Panic

This chapter is dedicated to XaestheitcX! Thank you so much for commenting and supporting me! Congrats on getting first comment these past couple chapters XD

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Previously...

Suddenly, Absol broke back out of its pokeball. She had almost forgotten that it had sensed something off earlier.

"Sol!" It cried urgently before a loud explosion shook the building. A hole was blown through the side of the building and a small regime of team rocket grunts poured in.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Before anybody could do anything, a barrage of haze and smokescreens filled the room blocking her vision. Coughs echoed throughout the room in a cacophony. She couldn't see Drew anymore who had been right next to her, the haze was so thick. Suddenly, a hand grabbed her wrist and as she was about to scream, another blocked her mouth. She grabbed the arm by her face and tried to pull it off while struggling.

"May! Relax! It's me!" Drew's voice said reassuringly. She stopped flailing and he removed his hand. He was close enough now for her to be able to see him.

"Did you have to scare me like that!" She asked. She was angry at him and a little embarrassed.

"It was a little funny, but if I had just grabbed your wrist you would have screamed and that would alert them to our location and freak everybody else out," he explained. It was sensible though. Suddenly, she felt the hand that was still around her wrist slide down and interlock with her fingers. She felt giddy all of the sudden despite the confusion and panic among the room.

"Absol! Use razor wind!" Drew called out.

"What are you doing? I thought we weren't supposed to make a scene?" May asked him.

"I'm clearing the haze!" He said as Absol cleared a good portion of it. May realized that it was starting to get really hot in the room, and that more smoke was being produced despite the amount that had been cleared by Drew and a couple other coordinators. That's when the fire alarms went off. The building was not only smoke bombed, but set on fire as well. Drew returned Absol as mass panic began to take over the room. Some grunts were still blocking the hole so people were restricted to one single exit. There weren't many people in the room before the attack to begin with but it seemed like a lot more trying to get through.

"Come on!" Drew said as he pulled her gently toward the exit. Unexpectedly, a hand yanked her back. A Team Rocket grunt had latched onto her hand. She tried to break loose but she couldn't. Drew was trying to pull her from the other side too.

"Let go!!" She yelled.

"I won't let you escape!" The grunt spat. She began to panic, frantically trying to escape his grasp. Tears began to prick at her eyes and she was inhaling a lot of smoke. Her head was getting fuzzy when Drew punched the grunt in the stomach with his free hand and May pulled her arm with all of her remaining strength out of his grasp. She stumbled forward and Drew quickly led them out the door. She was blinded by the sunlight when they emerged from the hall. They both collapsed on the grass breathing in the clean air heavily. May sputtered and began coughing erratically. Once it was over, she held her arms in a self comforting sort of way.

"What- Why, I don't-" she couldn't get the words out and the tears that had threatened to fall in her hysteria earlier were then released. As she cried she felt a comforting hand on her shoulder. She looked up to see Drew with a deeply concerned expression. She then latched to him, balling her fists in his shirt before sobbing unrestrained into his chest. She heard sirens in the distance, which were probably the police since firefighters had just arrived alongside the paramedics. She finally pulled herself together and let go of him.

"Sorry," she sniffed. He coughed a little before smiling softly down at her.

"What are you apologizing for?"

"I totally used you as a tissue," she laughed lightly. He laughed with her.

"I don't mind," he said quietly. One of the paramedics came up to them and checked up on them.

"You two have some smoke inhalation, there's not much you can do but rest and buy some cough drops, other than that, you should be fine," she said finally after about five minutes of examining them.

"Thank you," Drew said. She nodded with a smile and went to check on another pair.

"Can we go back to the Pokemon Center and just rest a bit before we head to Goldenrod City?" She asked tiredly.

"Yeah, we should probably get cleaned up," he said as he stood up. He offered her a hand and he helped her up. She blamed this strange feeling in her chest on the experience that just happened, but it stayed with her when they got up to the room and while she was taking a shower and after when she was putting their clothes in the washing machine.

It had been about 2 hours after the contest when their PokeNavs started to blow up. Solidad texted Drew saying she heard about it and asked if they were okay. Brianna messaged her similarly. They said they were fine and everything was okay. However, May got a message that filled her with dread once she read it. It was from her mom.

Call me

She solemnly showed Drew the text and a frown settled in on his face.

"We should probably head downstairs," he said. She sighed and knew he was right so she followed him to the video call room. She dialed the number and held her breath as it rang. The static on the screen cleared and May's mom was revealed.

"Hey Mom, what did you want me to call you for?" She could only hope it wasn't what she thought it was going to be.

"Come home," of course that's what it was.

"What?" She said incredulously.

"I want you home," she said firmly.

"But Mom-"

"I heard about the contest hall. I knew it wasn't safe there for you. You're getting the first train you can get from Goldenrod to Saffron and the first ferry you can get from Vermillion to Slateport," she said.

"No," May said.

"What?"

"I said no! I'm not coming home!" May said stubbornly.

"May, this for the best," she pleaded.

"For your best or my best, Mom? I may not be an adult yet, but I can make my own decisions for myself and I'm not coming home!" She said finally.

"May!-" she hung up the call furiously.

"Maybe you should though," Drew said suddenly.

"But if I go, you won't have a partner and you can't win this Grand Festival by yourself!" She exclaimed.

"Right, I would go home too," he said quietly. She shot up out of the chair and stomped over to him, putting her hands on his shoulders and looking him straight in the eye.

"We're winning this and we're winning it together. Neither of us are leaving until we win the ribbon cup!" She said.

"You win then," he smiled fondly at her as he raised his arms in defeat. She grinned triumphantly.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

Soooooo, yeah! Here it is! These next few chapters are about to be pretty Contestshipping heavy so be excited for that. I feel like I didn't make the whole situation intense enough, but oh well, I hope you all still enjoyed it regardless! Also, May does check up with her mom like she asked, but I just haven't really included it because it's not really that important, but anyways, I hope you liked it and as always, until next time,

YouDontKnowShipping