Chapter 48: Small Indulgence

Previously...

He felt his PokeNav buzz to see that May had texted him. He eagerly opened up to discover it saying she'd make it to Goldenrod the next day. He couldn't wait to see her again and continue journeying but he'd never tell her that.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

She shouldn't be as plagued with nerves as she was. Even though it had been about a week since she had seen him and she really missed him, but as Goldenrod City appeared on the horizon, she wasn't sure if she was ready. Just because she wanted to see him didn't mean that he wanted to see her, and she wasn't even sure if she wanted to see him now either. But somehow, she knew she did.

She'd grown used to traveling with him and being by his side that she felt like she was missing or forgetting something. Of course being with Ash and company helped with that, but it still felt weird. She wondered what she would even say when they saw each other again. She wasn't sure if she would be able to bear more awkwardness between them.

With all her thinking and panicking, it wasn't long before they were docked and May was stepping off the boat. She was relieved to be on solid ground after the constant rocking back in forth of the ship but her fight was far from over. She sent a message to Drew on her PokeNav that she had arrived and he responded promptly that he, Solidad and Harley were waiting for her near the entrance of the harbor.

Mustering up her courage, she headed their direction, psyching herself up. She could do this. When she spotted them, she faltered for a moment. Just seeing him standing there, he was a sight for sore eyes. It had only seemed her absence had only made her feelings for him stronger. She carried on ahead though, waving at them excitedly.

"hey guys!" She said as she finally made it to them.

"it's good to see you!" Solidad smiled.

"Can we leave now?" Harley complained, stomping his foot impatiently like a stubborn child.

"Are you in a rush?" May asked, concerned she was holding them up.

"We're planning on cutting it close to the Bonitaville contest," Solidad said hesitantly.

"Oh! Well go then! I don't want to slow you guys down," she said.

"Thanks sugar cookie, it was good to see you too I guess. Bye now!" Harley said as he steered Solidad away with what sounded like a "leave them be for now."

It was quiet for a moment between them as they watched Harley and Solidad leave.

"Welcome back," Drew said stiffly.

"Thanks," she said, forcing a smile at him.

"We should um, catch up," he said.

"Yeah, sure," she said as they began to walk back towards the pokemon center. It was about 5 in the evening and judging by Drew's demeanor, they weren't in a rush for the next contest like Harley and Solidad.

"So, Eevee evolved," he said suddenly.

"So you watched," she said, smiling bittersweetly to herself.

"You thought I wouldn't?" He asked.

"I guess not," she laughed lightly. She watched as the corner of his lips tugged downward. Seeing them reminded her of the kiss they had shared. She tried to push the thought down as quickly as it had appeared.

"I've never seen that particular evolution before. Glaceon?" He asked.

"Yeah, an ice type. Though since evolving him, his temperament has been a bit more rough,"

"I see. It's common for ice types to be rugged," he commented. She made a sound of agreement. Silence fell over them again as they walked through the doors of the Pokemon Center. He let out an exasperated sigh as they walked down the hall to their room. She watched as he slid in the keycard, unlocking the door before he held it open for her. She walked over to the bed without stuff on it as Drew shut the door behind him and she set her bags down. She was caught off guard by arms suddenly wrapping themselves around her. Drew pulled her closer into his chest as he rested his head in the crook of her neck.

"Drew! W-What are you doing?" She asked, surprised.

"I'm sorry," he murmured into her neck. "I just... didn't realize how much I'd miss you," he said, squeezing her tighter. Her heart ached at his words.

"I'm being cruel right now, I know. It's just sucked that everything got so weird and awkward. I hate it," he said.

"Drew...," she said softly before shifting in his arms to try to face him which he let her. He had lifted his head from her shoulder to now look her straight in the eyes.

"I know I'm not making this easier on you, but I'm holding back too. I shouldn't even be indulging myself this much," he said as he began to let go of her. Without thinking, she held onto him tighter.

"Can we stay like this a bit longer?" She asked, wanting to hold onto the moment a little more before he closed himself off again. She watched as his expression changed into deep thought before he closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Okay. Just for a little longer," he gave in as he pulled her close, allowing her head to rest on his chest. Her heart was pounding erratically at his proximity. Still though, in his arms she felt safe and calm, despite her heartbeat and she wished that they didn't have to worry about him leaving so he could allow himself to be happy. She wasn't sure how much more time had passed. It could have been one minute to ten, but eventually, he loosened his grip on her.

His hands slid up to her shoulders from where they had been holding her back to gently separate them. In a moment it seemed time stopped as his green eyes stared into her eyes. He faltered for a moment, before leaning down as if he was about to kiss her. Before she could do anything though, he caught himself and pushed her back.

"I'm sorry, I'm only making this worse," he said guiltily. "I'll try not to make things harder for you,"

"I will always have feelings for you. Nothing you do is going to suppress them from existing," she said.

"I want you to be happy, and you're going to have to forget about me," he said ruefully.

"And that's something that I just can't do,"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

Hey guys. I'm exhausted. I hope you liked this chapter though. School's been taking a LOT out of me and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to keep up like this, I will try my best, but if I miss a week or go on hiatus, please don't be too mad. I'm not doing it because I want to, I'm doing it because I have to, because I don't have time to write. I know this chapter was kinda angst again, but I really wanted to do that hug so that's where I went. Anyways, until next time!

YouDontKnowShipping