Chapter 20: A Different Kind of Bond

Previously...

A little while passed before finally, they were called. The two of them headed towards the stage. As they walked to the edge of the hall, they took a breath before stepping out together into the bright lights.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"I would make a formal introduction, but the partnership of these two has been all the talk as of recently, without further ado, here's May and Drew!" Adrian said as the crowd cheered and a section of girls towards the front were screaming at Drew. As the crowd settled down, May and Drew shared a look before simultaneously releasing their Pokemon.

"Beautifly! Take the stage!" May cried.

"Masquerain, let's go!" Drew exclaimed. The two Pokemon began to circle each other in a dance. They always seemed to do that. He knew it was because the two were highly infatuated with each other, he wasn't sure what May thought about it though. The crowd seemed to like the dance.

"Masquerain! Bubble!" He said and Masquerain let out a sea of bubbles.

"Beautifly! Psychic!" May said. Beautifly's eyes glowed and the bubbles suddenly halted in the air. Then, they began to swirl around the two Pokemon before hanging in the air above them, spread out.

"Masquerain! Use ice beam!" Drew said and Masquerain shot up beams of ice, freezing all the bubbles. Beautifly brought the bubbles down to be on the same level as the two bug Pokemon.

"Silver wind!" They yelled simultaneously. Beautifly let go of its control as she and Masquerain began letting out a silver wind while spinning back to back. The bubbles exploded into blue sparkles, showering the crowd. The crowd gasped in awe. Beautifly and Masquerain turned around, facing each other and dancing around as they slowly came back down to rest above their trainers. The crowd thundered with applause.

"A brilliant display from these two! Let's see what our judges think!" Adrian said cheerfully.

"Beautifly and Masquerain have been wonderfully trained and you can clearly see it in this routine!" Mr. Contesta said as 9.5 appeared on his board.

"The control of Beautifly's psychic and Masquerain's ice beam was remarkable!" Mr. Sukizo said as a score of 9.3 appeared on his board.

"Beautifly and Masquerain are just so adorable! They work very well together and clearly enjoy it! They trust each other and they trust you, it's so nice to see!" Nurse Joy said as a score of 9.8 appeared on her board. 28.6 appeared on the big screen.

"That's the highest score all afternoon!" Adrian announced. The crowd cheered loudly as they exited the stage. They made their way back into the coordinators room. Soon after, it was revealed who had passed the appeal round. Drew and May were revealed first and not long after they appeared, Savannah and Abby showed up. The twins cheered happily and pulled each other into a hug. Wooper and Mareep were both happily jumping around.

May and Drew were put against two guys. Using Skitty and Butterfree, the two managed to snag a win. Their teamwork was still very shaky and they weren't always on the same wavelength. After the second round, they saw they were up against Abby and Savannah. Drew could see that May was visibly a little nervous.

"Hey, it's okay," Drew said, trying to snap her out of it. "If you get nervous now, it's going to mess with your Pokemon."

"I know but, you can tell from the way they battle, those two are really in sync. We just started trying to work together after being rivals for a few years. We don't have the same style of thinking and are used to going against each other, not working together. I'm just nervous that we won't be able to beat them because we won't be able to work together. We just came to a bit of an understanding. If I had known we were going up against a pair like them, I probably would have tried harder. I know that they're beginners, but their close bond may be enough to beat us," May let out. He knocked her head gently with the back of his fist.