Chapter 15: Who's Being Trained Here?

Previously...

"Don't look at me like that," he said softly, looking away from Cyndaquil, his anger had fully quenched and the guilt set in. How does he always end up making things worse?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Alright, Cyndaquil! Ember!" Drew said. Cyndaquil sat back and tilted his head at him. He had an expectant look on his face, daring Drew to try again.

"Cyndaquil!" Drew growled. The Pokemon squeaked, but it sounded suspiciously like a laugh. He grumbled and frowned as Cyndaquil jumped onto his head.

"Would you stop doing that!" Cyndaquil laughed again.

"Alright you!" He said, wrapping his hands around the troublesome Pokemon and tried to pry him off his head. He was successful and held Cyndaquil at arms lace and looked at him.

"Why can't you just listen to me?" Drew asked exasperatedly. Cyndaquil laughed again and set off a small smoke screen in his face causing him to have a small coughing fit as he glowered at his Pokemon. Hoping that it would help, he sent out Roselia. The rose Pokemon looked back and forth between Cyndaquil and it's trainer.

"Cyndaquil wont listen to me!" He told Roselia, hoping that it would try and talk to Cyndaquil. Roselia stood for a moment, as if he was pondering his next move. Then, he raised one of his rose arms and smacked Drew on top of the head, sending the boy into shock.

"Wha? Roselia! What was that for?" He exclaimed. Roselia gave him a look that translated to, 'you're seriously asking me that?' He took a deep breath. What did he want? He wanted to win as many contests and Grand Festivals as he could before he didn't have the chance anymore. But what does Cyndaquil want? What do the rest of his Pokemon want?

Cyndaquil wanted to be out and enjoying the world around him, not be confined. Roselia wanted to be out as well, but Drew was Roselia's best friend, and he hadn't realized not letting him out was hurting his feelings. Absol wanted companionship with someone who didn't see him as dangerous and a bad omen, and in contests, Drew showed off that Absol was more than the omen before disaster.

Flygon loved every opportunity to show off it's strength, and Drew had been taking too much advantage of his flying recently and hadn't given him the chance to let out some steam battling. Masquerain loved spending time with Beautifly, but Drew and May have been letting them just spend time together. Butterfree loved food, but Drew couldn't remember the last time he fed her a pokeblock.

He realized his constant paranoia of the past several weeks had been wearing him down and not only was it straining him, it was straining his Pokemon, and also, he sometimes ended up taking out his stress out on May. That wasn't fair to any of them. He was just so worried about what could happen if... he shook the thought off. He could let himself be swallowed in anxiety, or try to enjoy what time he had left. Making his decision, he let all his Pokemon out.

"I'm sorry everyone, I haven't been myself lately, and I've been treating you all poorly recently. I'll try my best to improve and make it up to you, I've just had a lot of stuff that's been weighing on me, but that's no excuse," he apologized. His Pokemon seemed relieved that he had started to come back to his senses. They accepted his apology and all but Roselia and Cyndaquil went back into their pokeballs. Cyndaquil crawled back up to lay down on his head.

"I'm also sorry about not letting you out Roselia, it's just, you act weird when I'm with May, and I don't know why. I won't let it bother me," Drew said. Roselia laughed mischievously.

"Okay, now I'm bothered," he laughed. Suddenly, Roselia produced a thornless red rose and held it up to Drew.

"I know, I know, I need to apologize to her," he said, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly. His face tinted a suspicious shade of red. Roselia nodded encouragingly. He walked back to the camp that they had set up to find her tossing a block of "May's Surprise" to her eager Munchlax.

"Hey," he said awkwardly as he approached her.

"Hey," she said shortly.

"I'm sorry, I've just been super stressed recently, and I've been taking it out somewhat on you. I was being selfish, so, I'm sorry," he apologized, wincing at how stupid he was for saying sorry twice.

"I see," she said, still sounding a bit angry.

"There's just some stuff that I just can't talk about yet. Things that one knows, not even Solidad. I'm just not ready to talk about them. I've just been feeling weighed down," he revealed.

"Does it have to do with the nightmare you had a few nights ago?" She asked.

"Yeah," he said breathily as he glanced away from her for a moment.

"I don't want to force you or make you feel like you have to tell me anything. It's not my business. But, our partnership needs a bit more work, we need to come to an understanding of each other and our styles so we can learn how to work and compliment each other," May said. He nodded.

"I understand. I haven't been the best partner, I've just been so high strung," he fidgeted with the rose behind his back. "But it's no excuse for being a jerk, so... I'm sorry," he said as he held it out to her. A surprised look came over her face as she took it. She held it gingerly, as if it would disappear if she was too rough with it.

"It's been awhile since you've pulled one of those out," She said softly.

"Well, if I did it all the time, it wouldn't really be a surprise," he shrugged.

"I guess, with what you've said, you haven't been yourself. You haven't even flicked your hair!" She laughed lightly.

"Here, let me fix that for you," he grinned before flicking his hair. He guessed he had been more off when he thought about it. The way too close call before May's house and on the way to Slateport had really messed with him, bringing on his anxiety for the future. Instead of focusing on the positive which was that he escaped again. She laughed, breaking him out of his thoughts.

"I guess I can forgive you, but you can't go all jerk and emo on me and expect me to go along with it. I won't put up with it," she scolded him.

"Okay, okay, I got it," he said. A moment of silence passed between. Cyndaquil lept from Drew's head to May's lap. She held him against her stomach and played with his paws. Roselia stood there quietly, trying not to let his amusement show.

"Sooo," May drawled. "I've been a bit confused recently," she said.

"Really? About what?" Drew asked. She paused for a moment, looking down at Cyndaquil as she drew circles in the air with his paws.

"What are we?" He felt his stomach drop.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

HAHAHAHAHAHA! What does May mean? Guess you'll have to wait until next week! Anyways, I felt this was a pretty character centered chapter. Drew has kind of been all over the place in this story, also, I'm sooooo soooo sooo bad about writing in the Pokemon so I've been trying my best! I'm a person who loves character centric stuff, so I tend to focus a lot on the character's inner turmoil and conflict and emotions because I LIVE FOR IT MYSELF.

Anyways, I hope this is satisfactory and brings some stuff up that I've forgotten to mention because there's just so much stuff to cover. Also! I hope that the personalities that I gave to Drew's Pokemon. I haven't seen the show in an eternity, and I never finished the Hoenn seasons so I have no idea what the personalities of his Pokemon are, so I tried my best! Anyways, until next time!

YouDontKnowShipping