Chapter 10: Cherrygrove City

Previously...

"No, you're not, but that doesn't mean you're not a jerk!" She said, sticking her tongue out at him that playfully.

"Okay, I may be just a bit of a jerk," he admitted with a laugh.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The shores of Cherrygrove City had been visible for just a little bit. May was standing on the deck, watching as they crept closer to the region she had grown up in. A sudden gust of wind whipped her hair back as pink petals flew past her face. It was springtime, and all the cherry blossom trees were in full bloom.

When they finally were let off the boat, May sighed in content as she landed back on solid ground for the first time in four days. She breathed in the sweet smell of the flowers and trees as she took in all their colors.

"Wow, this place is beautiful," Drew said suddenly, surprising her.

"Yeah, I know right? I love the springtime. It's so lively and colorful, and it smells so nice!" May sighed happily as she fell into step next to her arrogant rival turned arrogant friend.

"Fitting for a girl named after a spring month," Drew commented smugly.

"Tch, whatever Grasshead! Well, what's your favorite season then?" She huffed, crossing her arms as the finally made it to the end of the docks.

"Fall," he replied matter-of-factly. May smirked.

"Hmph, fitting for a guy like you to like a season where a lot of things die," she teased.

"What's that supposed to mean? That I hate nature? That I'm heartless?" He inquired, turning his head to look at her. She grinned widely.

"Ha! You said it, not me!" She cackled. He frowned and narrowed his eyes at her.

"For your information, I like the fall because I like the colors and the cool weather," he informed her.

"Uh-huh, you just keep telling yourself that," she said as they walked into the Pokemon Center, the automatic doors opening for them. There was a small line at the front desk so they joined it. The lobby was full of trainers though as the league and contests for this year were just starting up. Many would set out, but most wouldn't make it far before giving up and going home. However, May and Drew were not going to give up. They were going to win the Johto Grand Festival. Soon enough, it was their turn at the counter.

"Hello and welcome to the Pokemon Center! How may I be of help to you today?" Nurse Joy chimed happily.

"We'd like to register for the Johto contest pass please," Drew replied politely.

"So you two are partners?" She asked.

"Yes," May said.

"Alright, I need you both to scan your trainer cards on the screen," Nurse Joy instructed as she pointed to the screen. Drew scanned his card and May followed in suit after. There was the sound of a printer booting up before Nurse Joy disappeared under the desk to come back up with two contest passes.

"Thank you very much," Drew nodded at her.

"Of course, good luck and be careful out there. Make sure to take your Pokemon to the Pokemon Center whenever they need healed up!" Nurse Joy said sweetly.

"Thank you very much," May said. The two of them then left the Pokemon Center and stopped to examine their new passes.

"Hey look! Drew!" May exclaimed.

"What?" He asked as he moved closer to her, tilting his head down to see her card.

"Look, it says you're my partner on here!" She pointed out.