Chapter 16: What Are We?

Previously...

Sooo," May drawled. "I've been a bit confused recently," she said.

"Really? About what?" Drew asked. She paused for a moment, looking down at Cyndaquil as she drew circles in the air with his paws.

"What are we?" He felt his stomach drop.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Um... what do you mean?" Drew asked hesitantly, feeling the tips of his ears start to redden in embarrassment. He tried to suppress it from spreading. He felt very awkward and uncomfortable. May looked at him as if he was strange for a moment before her whole face just burst into a crimson red blush.

"Oh my gosh noooooo! Not like that! I can't believe I just said it like that! What is wrong with me?" She said putting her hands over her face to hide from him. "I meant that I've been confused for a while about what our relationship is. No! Not like that either! I'm such a mess!" She exclaimed even more embarrassed.

"No! I mean, I have no idea if we're rivals, friends, partners? I'm just really confused. One moment we're on good terms, the next, not so much. That's what I was trying to say," she said, slowly removing her hands from her face. Suddenly, he bursted out laughing.

"You couldn't have worded it any better?" He laughed. She got red again.

"I can never say the right thing! It's so embarrassing!" She whined.

"You really had me there for a second, I was like, what in the world could I possibly say to that," he said through laughs.

"Well sorry that you've been acting so bipolar recently that I can't tell if you hate me or not!" She huffed at him. He noticed the way her cheeks puffed out when she was annoyed, making her look like an angry pikachu. He had seen the face multiple times but...

"Well, are you going to answer me? I'm still confused over here!" She said impatiently.

"Alright alright alright! I mean, of course we're partners, we kinda signed up to be. As for friends, I mean, of course you're my rival, you keep me determined to wipe the floor with you, but I don't hate you or anything. Honestly though, when I first met you, I wouldn't say I hated you, I just didn't like you that much. With that cheesie act with the frisbees, I thought no way would you ever get strong enough to pose a real threat," he said. May glared at him when he let out that comment.

"But, you proved me wrong. You suddenly started bursting at the seams with potential, and before I knew it, you started to become a tough opponent to beat and I started to feel genuinely nervous before our battles. And then you beat me back in Kanto, and even though I had come to terms with it subconsciously, it was the first time that I had to really acknowledge that you were an actual threat to me," May smiled proudly at his words.

"Anyways, I don't hate you. You're my rival, and that encourages me to become stronger so you don't leave me in the dust. But this time, you're also my partner so we have to learn how to put our differences aside and try to work together to win. I guess for the final one, I'm not quite sure. I don't really have too many friends. I have Solidad, but we don't really talk about anything personal and all that, we just talk about other coordinators.

Harley is also not a friend and if he was, I'd never be able to trust him. But you, I don't know, I'm not quite sure myself yet, but I do know that I've been spending a lot of time with you. While there are things you do that annoy me, we have been together almost every waking moment for a few weeks now. We've had several arguments, but that's the way we've always been, I guess. We've always bickered with each other.

I know I've said a lot of things that I don't mean but... anyways, I think I know now. There's no one else I'd rather be stuck traveling around with. You make interesting company at the least and it's never a dull moment with you and your amazing way with words. I think that, if not yet, we're on the road to becoming good friends, by my standards at least. I'm just kind of more of a private person, and there's some things that I just can't talk about yet like I said earlier. Maybe someday... but that's stuff that I have to sort through on my own," he finally finished. May looked pretty satisfied with his answer.

"I don't know..." she said with a playful tone picking up in her voice. "You've always been an insufferable jerk," she teased. He looked at her with mock offendence.

"Hey! I resent that!" He said as he relaxed his stance and put his hands on his hips.

"Well, I guess you have gotten a little more tolerable," she grinned.

"You're still a Bandana Brain," he said smugly.

"And you're a grassheaded womanizer," she said proudly.

"Woah, excuse me?" He said.

"You're excused," she smirked.

"I am not a womanizer," he said, laughing at her comment.

"Tell that to your annoying fangirls," May said triumphantly.

"Hey now, they're the shallow ones! I try my best not to interact with them because they only like my looks," he said, flicking his hair.

"Well you encourage it!" May said.

"Do I look like the kind of guy who wants girls swarming after them?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," May joked.

"No," he said at the same time.

"It's so annoying. You better hope that you never have a group of fanboys chasing after you because something like this I would never wish upon anyone,"

"What if I want fanboys?" May challenged. He laughed.

"Oh believe me, you don't. It's not what it's made out to be," he said bitterly.

"Okay, whatever pretty boy," May said sarcastically.

"So you admit it! You fell victim to my charms!" He teased. She made a disgusted face and stuck out her tongue.

"As if! No way!" She exclaimed. She put Cyndaquil back on his head and the fire type nestled back into his favorite spot in the world, Drew's head.

"I'm joking," he grinned. "Come on, we need to get going. It's a few more days to Violet City and the contest is exactly a week from now. Once we get there, we can really focus on our combinations and appeal routines before the contest," he said thoughtfully.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

This chapter was heavy dialogue! Also, I apologize for my author's note in the previous chapter. I was struggling to stay awake, and not all my thoughts made it onto the screen completed. Anyways, things seem pretty good for now! But what will happen next once they finally get to Violet City? Stay tuned for next week!

Also, just wanted to let you guys know that I'm working on SO MUCH stuff behind the scenes. I have the second chapter almost finished for my Percabeth story and that will probably come out a little after this, or tomorrow night. I also am working on a new one shot which is a rewrite of my first ever contestshipping story that I hardly remember a thing about because I wrote it 5 years ago and it has been deleted for over 4 years. It will be immensely different, but my writing was super short back then and it was only about 6 chapters with not a lot of content if I remember correctly. Then another thing I'm working out is a short My Hero Academia story about Midoriya, no idea when that will be done either.

But most importantly, I'm working on a rewrite of The Other Realm which I'm sure none of you remember. I don't have the original anymore, but I remember this one well. This one is also going to be different from the original, with less characters so I can focus more! Also, I've started contemplating different concepts for an Aura Guardian fanfic because the one I was going to write was trash and I just rewatched Lucario and the Mystery of Mew and was feeling inspired. These probably won't come out any time soon and are completely subjected to change and being dropped. This is my main focus right now, and while I know it's impossible, I kinda want to finish those stories before I upload them so that I don't have to worry about rushing a chapter out like I've been doing for this for the past few weeks. Anyways, that's all for now, until next time,

YouDontKnowShipping