Chapter 26: Jealousy

Previously...

Solidad.

See you at the Goldenrod Contest?

He smirked.

You can count on it

He approached May and nudged her gently. She whipped her head around at his touch. He handed her his PokeNav and she took it cautiously. A smile broke out on her face as she read the words.

"Can't wait," she beamed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

She watched as Brendan dropped to the ground after setting up his tent. Drew had already turned in, no doubt stressed. She was stressed out as well. She loved Brendan, (in the most platonic way) but she also cared about Drew. She wasn't as opposed to hurting Brendan's feelings because he was the type of guy who got over things quickly. She was starting to regret bringing him along. She didn't want to upset Drew.

He was harder to read and she had only just got him to start opening up to her. She didn't want to risk doing anything to break their building trust. Still though, she had been a bit harsh on Brendan earlier. His interactions with Drew were like a natural gas explosion, and May was caught in the middle of the inferno. She looked towards Brendan again to see him with his head in his hands. His brows furrowed in a troubled expression.

She tossed her bag in her tent before going over and plopping down next to him. She brought her knees to her chest and laid her arms across them. She rested her head on her arms and looked over at him.

"Hey, you okay?" She asked gently.

"Eh. Feeling like a real jerk," he laughed bitterly.

"Wanna talk about it?" May said as she propped her arm up and held her cheek in her hand.

"I said some mean things to Drew. If I'm being honest, I don't really like him that much," Brendan frowned. She was surprised.

"Well, I didn't like Drew at first either," she confessed with a light laugh. Brendan raised an eyebrow.

"He told me my act for the contest I was practicing for was cheesy," she smiled softly at the memory. "It was, I realized that now that I've learned so much,"

"So you didn't like him just because he said your act was cheesy?" Brendan laughed.

"Well, no, he always acted like he was better than me. It seemed like he was talking down at me. In retrospect, he actually gave me good advice and was looking out for me. When I got to know him a little better, it was much easier to see. He comes off rough and indifferent, but he actually cares a lot," May explained. Brendan hummed in understanding.

Now that May thought about it, traveling with Drew and getting to know him better, she'd figured out a lot about him. It wasn't he thought he was better, he was socially awkward and had a hard time talking to him. That probably had to do with the way he was raised. He never really learned how to communicate with others, so the whole time he'd been on his journey, he'd had to learn how. Also, the fact that he'd been on the run, he was probably scared of letting anybody in just for them to be taken away, which was why he only ever talked to Solidad about other Coordinators. A weird feeling rushed over her. She was the only one he had told about his past. She couldn't help herself from feeling special that he'd told her.

"As for why he didn't want to tell you anything about him, he's a very private person and doesn't want to concern others. Even his close friends. He's only just started opening up to me," She explained, resting her arm back down as her hand was starting to fall asleep.

"I was being pushy. I was also a bit hostile," Brendan admitted.

"We all have our days. If you apologize to him, I'm sure he'd accept,"

"Is there any way I could... stay traveling with you?" Brendan asked hopefully, but a look in his eyes that expected a rejection.

"I... I don't know Brendan. It's hard enough on him that I'm even here. He doesn't know you well either. Plus with contests, we go all over the place, wherever has a contest. It's not the same path you'd take as a gym challenger. I just barely made it work when I traveled with Ash, I was barely just in time to sign up every time. I finally have the chance to not be restricted by which town we have to go for a gym battle. I know it's selfish," She turned away from him. Not wanting to see him upset. It was quiet for a minute before he let out a soft laugh.

"I'm jealous,"

"Of what?"

"Drew. He gets to spend so much time with you. It's also clear that you care a lot about him," he said, his tone bittersweet and sad. He seemed to be restraining himself. She wasn't sure from what. She wasn't sure how to respond. She opened her mouth several times to try and force something out.

"I take back what I said. Traveling with the two of you... wouldn't be a good idea," he said solemnly. "I... I don't think I could bear to watch,"

"Watch what?" She asked. He smiled at her with a soft expression on his face. He then shook his head.

"It's nothing," he dismissed it. He stood up abruptly and playfully ruffled her hair.

"Hey!" She huffed.

"I won't give up though. I'll keep trying, and even if I fail now, maybe I'll win in the future," he said determinedly as he stepped in his tent. "Now go to sleep, we'll need to be well rested to make it to Azalea Town tomorrow," he began to zip up his tent.

"What do you mean you won't give up?" May asked. He smirked mischievously at her before sealing his tent.

"That was rude! Ugh! Whatever, see you in the morning," she pouted and drug herself to her tent.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

Was I successful in redeeming Brendan slightly? Hopefully! I made him a bit too mean in the last chapter. Also, I'm sorry, I'm very heavy on the characters just because characters are my favorite part of stories. I love characters with real and reasonable problems that show why the character acts a certain way. Definitely why I love Fruits Basket so much! Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Until next time!

YouDontKnowShipping