Chapter 45: Confession

Previously...

Drew walked a couple paces in front of towards the back, facing away from the crowd to talk and return his Roselia. May couldn't tear her eyes from the Jumbotron that showed their pictures with the winner underneath. She just couldn't believe it, she hadn't ever beaten Solidad before. She always seemed so untouchable as she was a highly talented top coordinator. It seemed Adrian was about to announce for them to receive their ribbons when a horrible and loud cracking sound came from right above her.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For a moment nothing happened. A hush came over the whole contest hall in reaction to the previous sound. She saw Drew turn around and look up to find where it came from. Until a deafening crash thundered from above again. She had been standing but within a blink she found herself laying on the ground as the Jumbotron smashed into the floor where she was standing previously. The audience gasped before a cacophony of panicked voices filled the silence. She shakily grabbed onto the arms that were around her as her mind began to fill in the blanks of what had just happened. The Jumbotron was about to fall on her but she was moved out of the way by Drew right before it fell. Her heart was pounding out of her chest as she clung to him like he was the only thing that was real.

"Are you okay?" Drew asked worriedly, his face openly concerned.

"Thanks to you I'm nothing but really shaken up," she said, her voice quivering.

"Thank goodness," he sighed in relief. He stood up and brushed himself off before extending a hand to her.

"Everybody, we ask that you please remain calm! Please exit the hall in an orderly fashion. It's not for certain if the building is completely stable," Adrian addressed the crowd who began to follow her instructions, the chatter growing louder.

"May! Drew! Are you two okay?" Solidad exclaimed, rushing over after her initial shock wore off. Harley followed her and for once seemed to be at a loss for words.

"We're okay Solidad," Drew said.

"You didn't get hit by any of the pieces?" Solidad asked, looking them up and down for any sign of injury.

"No, I'm not hurt, but what about you, Drew?"

"I'm alright," he confirmed.

"I'm so glad," Solidad said in relief.

"Sorry to interrupt, but it's probably best for you all to evacuate as well, here are your ribbons, I know it's not formal, but you won them and deserve to take them," Goldenrod City's Nurse Joy said sweetly as she came up to them. She pressed one of the yellowy gold ribbons into the palm of May's hand and presented Drew with the other. With that, Nurse Joy ushered them to the back to collect their things. In about five to ten minutes after, their things were all collected and they were exiting the hall when Goldenrod's Officer Jenny showed up with a group of policemen.

"We'll have to do an investigation into what caused the accident," May heard a piece of what she was saying to the group as they were passing by.

"It could just be an architectural issue with this building," one officer suggested.

"That was my initial thought, but after the Azalea Town Contest, I'm not so sure it was a complete accident,"

May stiffened. This could have been another attack? Drew stopped walking ahead and looked back at her.

"You coming?" He asked.

"Yeah, sorry!" She apologized before running to catch back up with him. She fell into step with him at his side.