Chapter 23: The Chase

Previously...

"Yeah, you're right," he agreed. "I think you've caused enough trouble today. Come on, back in your ball," He said, holding the ball up. Cyndaquil protested as it was returned.

"Let's go," May said. He nodded.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Hey, can we take a quick break here?" May asked as they entered a clearing.

"Yeah sure," Drew said as he looked at the sky. It was evening and they were trying to make it to a Pokemon Center to stay at for the night. May sat down and Drew copied shortly after. She pulled a granola bar from her backpack and brought out her water bottle.

"I was getting a bit hungry and thirsty and we probably won't eat dinner until we get to the Pokemon Center. Drew nodded.

"Well, I might as well too," he said. The two ate in silence, listening to the sounds of the forest and the Pokemon. They had both finished and when Drew grabbed his water to take a swig, a crack from the brush behind him caught his attention. That's when he heard the beeping sounds. May looked at him wide eyed and noticed his pale face. They scrambled up from the ground as two figures emerged from the brush.

The men wore all black. They had long sleeved shirts and full length pants. Their eyes were hidden by black sunglasses and they both had an earpiece in one ear. Panicking, Drew grabbed May's hand and took off running into the woods. She stumbled at first in surprise before matching his pace.

"Are those the-" May started.

"Yes!"

"How did they-"

"The contests are on TV, May. They traced me to Johto," he explained.

"Seriously!?" She said incredulously.

"Unfortunately. That's how they know where I am," he said. They weaved in and out through trees, turning different ways to try and shake them. May looked over her shoulder to see the two men still barreling after them.

"They're still there!" May exclaimed.

"I know! I'm working on it!" Drew snapped. May frowned before grabbing a specific pokeball. She released Squirtle in her arms. The Pokemon looked confused at her.

"Squirtle! Use bubble on the guys behind us!" She yelled. Squirtle frantically turned around and blasted a huge bubble attack at the men.

"I've got it! Great idea May! Cyndaquil! Come out!" Drew called as he opened to pokeball. Cyndaquil scampered on to his head.

"Smokescreen! Make it a big one!" Drew exclaimed. Cyndaquil's puffed up his chest as much as he could before letting out a huge puff of smoke that swept over them. May could hear the guys behind them coughing. The smoke was thick and charcoal black. Cyndaquil shot it behind them so they could see what was ahead of them. They continued running and no one spoke until they were far enough away.

"We have to get to the Pokemon Center! They can't get us in public places! My parents don't want my runaway to be public knowledge, it's an embarrassment to them and makes them look bad. So that means that they can't just have sketchy looking people kidnap a popular coordinator. There'd be public backlash and it would bring the company shame!" Drew explained. May nodded and slipped her PokeNav out of her pocket.

"The center is this way!" May said pointing to the right. The sky was beginning to glow an amber gold as the sun began to set. They eventually tired out and walked as fast as they could the rest of the way. Thirty minutes later, they saw a building hiding in the trees and took off for it.

When they arrived in the lobby, they were both completely exhausted. Drew got a room key from Nurse Joy and the two dragged their way to the room. May claimed the shower first and Drew laid on his bed thinking of his life at home. Finally it was his turn to shower.

After he was done, the two of them headed to the cafeteria to eat dinner. May had never seen Drew eat as fast or as much as he ate that night. She could tell he was also stressed. She could understand why he was always on edge now after everything. She felt so useless. She couldn't do anything to help him. No matter what she did, he would always be hunted down. After a quick dinner, the two headed back to the room.

"I'm sorry I dragged you into that," Drew said quietly once the lights were off and they were trying to get to sleep.

"I'm sorry that you have to go through that. I feel so useless! I can't do anything to stop it for you! They're just always going to be on your tail," she said.

"I've gotten used to it and I've adapted to it. From now on, we probably won't be camping out as much. We're too vulnerable that way. I don't want to push Flygon too much, but to avoid those guys, we may have to fly to get far enough ahead," Drew thought aloud.

"Anyways, how do they find you on TV?" May asked.

"My parents watch the contests that are on to see where I'm at, then they tell those two. The beeping sound you hear around them is when they use their earpieces to communicate with my parents where I currently am," he explained further.

"I see. I'm really sorry," she said.

"There's nothing you can do about it," he shrugged.

"I'm going to try to sleep since I'm exhausted. Please try to get some sleep too, okay? You deserve it," May said kindly.

"Thanks. Good night," He said gratefully.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

Sorry it's a bit short and a few minutes late! I had a busy weekend and so I didn't have as much time to write so I was in a rush to finish it!

So, the winner of the votes for what setting my new story will have was...

AU!

But even if it didn't win, I came up with such a great idea on Monday, and it's set in stone, I've already started writing it.

Rose Garden is a college coffee shop AU and I'm in love with it and it's perfect!

So... some little teasers: Drew, Ash, Gary, and Paul share an apartment off campus but it's really close to it!

The pairings are Contestshipping, Pokeshipping, Oldrivalshipping, and Ikarishipping.

May is the barista, and the coffee shop is called Sol's!

That's all I'm giving away!!!! I won't be posting it until it is all the way written so it will be a long while! Anyways! That's all for now! Until next time!

YouDontKnowShipping