Chapter 31: Exhausted

This chapter is dedicated to eveinspirations- because she has been reading my stories for quite a while now, definitely a year, maybe even 2! Anyways, she always leaves such nice comments so thank you so much for supporting me!! Now onto the chapter!

———————————————————————

Previously...

"We're a much stronger team than we were before," he said. She looked at him through squinted eyes and nodded. She let out another yawn and tried to fight the sleep off. Her eyelids kept closing on their own until she felt her cheek rest against something solid and warm and she drifted off.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

His heart skipped a bit when May's head fell on his shoulder. He sat rigid, his whole body tense. He was pretty sure he was blushing from his head to his toes and probably looked like a human strawberry.

"H-hey, wake up," he nudged her with his arm. That only made it worse. She grumbled before she latched her arms around his, snuggling closer to him. Panicking, he looked away from her. He covered his eyes with his other hand in embarrassment and frustration. She was going to give him a heart attack. He sighed. It was no use. She was dead asleep. He figured he should move her to her tent so he scooped her up.

She was pretty light despite how much food she tended to eat. As he stood up, she clenched his shirt in her hands and laid her head on his chest. He was going to die. She was going to kill him like this. He calmed himself down and walked over to her tent. Opening the flap, he awkwardly climbed in with May still clinging to him. He laid her down and breathed a sigh of relief. After a moment, he grabbed her blanket and put it over her.

He smiled softly before stepping out of the tent and zipping her inside. He ran his fingers through his hair, trying to let his nerves out. His heart was still pounding erratically, but a sinking feeling set in as he was heading into his own tent. She could never be his. No matter how much he wanted her. He had already been selfish enough. Leaving home, and getting jealous of Brendan as if he had the right to.

As he tried to fall asleep it was like a constant war in his head. One side pining for May and the other self deprecating.

May was so adorable- he didn't deserve her.

He wanted to wrap his arms around her- he didn't have the right.

He wanted to be with her- he would have to leave her behind.

He wasn't able to sleep very well that night and was surprised in the morning to be woken up by May. She hovered over him with an amused expression on her face.

"Welcome back to the land of the living," she said. She was still wearing his sweatshirt.

"Ha ha," he deadpanned, sitting up.

"I got worried because you weren't up, kinda strange. Are you okay?" She asked him.

"Yeah, I just didn't sleep well," he said. She frowned slightly.

"Sorry. Well, anyway, if we want to make it to Len Town by tonight, we gotta get going!" She said. "Oh! Also, here," she took off his sweatshirt and gave it back to him.

"I was very surprised to wake up in my tent. I guess you carried me there so thanks! Sorry I fell asleep on you!" She apologized. He shrugged.

"Well, I'll be outside waiting for you," she said with a wave as she left his tent.

When they arrived in Len Town, it was late. It was around 12:00 in the morning. The lobby in the Pokemon center was quiet and only a few lights were on. They went up to the front desk to see Nurse Joy.

"Do you have any rooms available?" Drew asked her.

"I have just one left. We've gotten pretty full because of the contest. It's yours, if you want it," she said, offering the key.

"Thank you," Drew said as he took it. The room was on the top floor of the center and when he opened the door, his face paled and he froze in his tracks.

"What?" May asked. He just gestured for her to go and look.

"Oh," she said.

"It's the only one left so..."

"Take it or leave it?" She suggested.

"Yeah," he swore, the universe was out to get him. In the middle of that hotel room was one queen size bed.

"It's fine, I can take the floor," he said as he shut the door.

"No way! You said you didn't sleep well last night! That's not fair to you! Take it from me, you look exhausted! I'll take the floor!" To be fair, he was exhausted and felt like he would fall over at any moment.

"All the more reason why I should take the floor. If I'm exhausted I should be able to sleep on anything, including the floor," he reasoned. She pouted.

"It's not fair to you!" She said.

"It's not fair to you either!" He retorted.

"Fine then! We'll just share! I call this side," she said and flopped down on one of the sides. He was about to open his bag to get stuff out for the floor but she stopped him.

"If you pull something out of there to try and sleep on the floor, I'll grab you by your hair and drag you over here!" She threatened. He grabbed clothes to change into and waved them at her as if that's what he was getting all along. When he came back out of the bathroom after changing, May was already under the covers.

"You need the bathroom?" He asked.

"Nope, I changed while you were in there," she answered. He turned off the overhead lights and the only thing that was on was the lamp on the nightstand by his side. He slowly walked over, dreading his next step. When he made it to the side of the bed, he slipped in and turned his back to her.

"Night," he said and turned off the lamp.

"Night," she said.

That was it. No confessions of love brought on by the romantic atmosphere. They were back to back, not even touching each other. Still, knowing she was there made it difficult for him to relax and fall asleep. Soon his exhaustion overpowered his anxiety and he fell asleep.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-A/N-

I just had to do the one bed XD! It's such a goofy trope but it's so good and I'd been planning for it to happen in the story practically since the beginning. Anyways! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I'll see you guys next week!