chapter thirty-one

chapter thirty-one | the mourning

when everyone left them behind . . .

ETHAN WAS TRYING to catch up to the truck before they left after he fought off the walker that attacked him. He wasn't even close and watched it sped away as it began to get surrounded.

Ethan swung the butt of his shotgun, which was now empty, into a face of a walker that was flanking him from the side. It grunted as it fell and he continued running forward. He knew he had to get off this farm, and he did what his sister told him. Run to the trees.

"Fuck off!" He yelled fighting off another walker, grabbing the attention of Andrea who was running in the same direction as him.

She shot the walker in the head, and Ethan flinched backward, the weight of the dead gone all of a sudden.

As it fell, Andrea stood there and he has never been this glad to see someone else besides the dead. "Run Ethan!"

She grabbed the police bag of guns that was long forgotten and together they ran to the woods, shooting and killing the walkers that were in their way. Ethan didn't have time to stop and think, neither of them did.

He just needed to survive this and hope that his family would survive this too.

The sun started to rise and Ethan was still fighting for his life. He was content that he wasn't alone, Andrea would hand him a different gun every time he ran out of ammo.

They were both alive, thanks to each other. Andrea would make a path forward while Ethan watched their back, both of them slowly running out of bullets for the different types of guns they had.

The two survivors didn't say much to each other, only calling out how many bullets they had left or if a walker was getting too close. They both knew what was happening. The horde was following them.

Ethan was limping badly, slowing both of them down. He started limping only half an hour of running when they left the farm. Andrea was growing tired as well, dragging her feet more and more every hour that went by.

Ethan couldn't think straight, he couldn't even say his own name at this point. He was focused on surviving, and he just needed to keep running, to keep killing.

When dusk fell upon the teen and the blonde, they had no more bullets or energy. They were fast-walking through the forest, not stopping for a second as the horde kept following them.

They were down to their hand weapons now.

Their heavy breathes were turning into clouds as the temperature dropped. Although Ethan's body was hot, evident with the sweat dripping down his forehead, the cold air hurt his lungs and he wished time would just go still so he could catch his breath. However, he probably wouldn't get up again even if he sat down for a second.