chapter seven

chapter seven | the drunk & the sober pt

chapter seven | the drunk & the sober pt. i

CASSIE SHIELDED HER eyes with her bear from the bright light while Laurel raised her hand that held the knife to cover her eyes. It took a while for her eyes to adjust, and she realized Daryl stood close to her side. They exchanged shocked glances, both of them were stunned and curious about what was happening.

As the group made their way inside, Daryl grabbed Laurel's arm and tugged her behind him with Cassie holding onto her sister's hand with a strong grip. Daryl wanted to hurry before the walkers that were creeping up on them got any closer. Laurel's eyes stayed glued on the doors before turning quickly around and noticing the building was empty.

Laurel flinched when a gun cocked and immediately everyone raised their weapons. A blonde man in a light gray t-shirt had a shotgun pointed straight at them. "Anybody infected?" He yelled over the loud noises of the oncoming dead.

"One of our group was. He didn't make it." Laurel glanced at Rick and wondered why he would even mention somebody that wasn't with them anymore.

Cassie hid behind her older sister, clutching onto her bear, and shut her eyes closed, begging silently for nothing to happen to her family and the group. Laurel tried to calm her down by rubbing her thumb on the side of her hand. Cassie was never held at gunpoint before, and she was deathly afraid of guns.

The man stepped closer, "why are you here? what do you want?"

"A chance." Rick practically begged, lowering his gun.

"That's asking an awful lot these days."

"I know," Rick agreed.

The man's eyes fell upon every person in the group, noticing how every single one of them was begging him to help them. His eyes stopped at the sight of the children in the group, barely seeing the small girl hiding behind a woman who looked like she had been through hell. "You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission," he bargained. "You got stuff to bring in, you do it now. Once this door closes, it stays closed."

Everyone immediately rushed back outside, but Laurel, Cassie, and Ethan stepped to the side. Laurel bent down to Cassie's level, "stay in here with your brother, I'm going to get our things."

"I'll watch them," Lori gathered Cassie in her arms with Carl as Sophia and her mother, Carol, stood next to them. Ethan stood in front of them with his knife clenched in his hands. Ethan sent a nod toward Laurel.

Laurel smiled at Lori in thanks before running out of the doors, following the rest of the group to their vehicles. Daryl waited behind for her, "Come on!" he yelled as he shot down another walker that was in her way with his crossbow, the shotgun was around his shoulders.