chapter fifty

chapter fifty | the broken

CASSIE SMILED WIDELY when Judith grabbed her thumb and tried to put it in her mouth. Cassie tugged lightly, Judith lost her grip but instead of trying to grab her thumb again, she went for Cassie's hair as she usually did.

Cassie winced, trying to tug her hair away from the baby's death grip, "Judith, ow." She smiled up at Cassie, slightly kicking her legs. Cassie made a fake pouty face at her, making Judith slightly giggle. Judith stretched her tiny arms, trying to grab more of Cassie's hair.

Beth and Hershel were outside, the older man wanting to take a walk after being cooped up in here for so long. Carl and Carol were at the gate, waiting for the rest of the group to come back so Cassie was left to take care of the baby and watch the new group that talked quietly in the cafeteria. She would glance at them every so often as she walked back and forth in the cell block, just to make sure they weren't trying anything. Cassie was with Carl when they heard the screams in the tombs, and they both didn't hesitate to rush to them and bring them to safety. She liked Tyreese and Sasha, they were nice to talk to and they seemed kind, but she wasn't too sure of the other two. She didn't like how their eyes always trailed to her weapons at her hips whenever they thought she wasn't looking.

Hearing rushed footsteps approach Cassie, her head turned to the sound to see Beth running through the cafeteria to the gate. Beth's wide eyes met Cassie's as she caught her breath, her hands wrapped around the bars. "They're back," Beth breathed out.

Cassie's mouth fell open, immediately adjusting Judith in her arms to grab the keys that were hooked in her belt loop. She rushed to the gate, unlocking it and stepping inside the cafeteria, handing Beth the keys. She walked as fast as she could with the baby in her arms, Beth ran right behind her when they reached the courtyard.

The young girls joined Hershel's side just as the green car pulled into the courtyard. Maggie turned the car off and quickly exited to embrace her father and sister. Cassie shuffled to the side, out of their way, and slowly approached the car.

The passenger door swung open in front of her causing Cassie and Judith to both flinch. Ethan jumped out before slamming it shut it behind him. He smiled for a brief moment at Cassie before walking around the other side. With her heart racing and her mind just the same, she followed him. Judith slightly squirming in her arms as she began to get fussy.

Ethan helped Laurel's arms wrap around his shoulder, carrying most of her body weight. Cassie took in a sharp breathe of air at the state of her older sister. "I look worse than how I actually feel," Laurel tried to reassure her.

Cassie shook her head, not believing her one bit as her worried eyes trailed over the countless bruises and cuts on Laurel's skin she could see that wasn't covered by her clothes. She recognized the poncho that Laurel had on, and it caused her to glance around but she saw no sign of Daryl. Cassie immediately thought the worse. Was he dead? Laurel and Ethan walked past her, Laurel tried her best to not hurl, chewing on the inside of her cheek, hoping that her little sister wouldn't notice how much she actually was in.