epilogue

epilogue | the survivors

SURVIVORS HAVE SCARS. Victims have graves.

Laurel Hill waits for her captors to reveal their necks. She glances at her side frequently though. Daryl stays there, keeping her steady and calm. A constant reminder of her humanity.

Cassie Hill has her knees pulled to her chest, hidden in the darkest corner, feeling comfort in the loved ones surrounding her but doomed as she watches her family prepare for their deaths. Death is a clock and the ticking echoes loudly. She wants to slow time.

Ethan Hill stands over his youngest sister, the young man squared his shoulders with a piece of wood sharpened and ready to protect his family. Yet, his heart is heavy and slow. A reminder he will forever protect his sisters but is too willing to put himself in front of the bullet.

The siblings owe it to themselves to make it out of here alive after everything they've been through. They made it through the napalms dropped onto their city. The never-ending herds that weren't killed by the military. They snuck their way out of the city and made it into the woods of Georgia. They met the group that would cause both heartaches and hope to fill their chests. They made it to the Greene's farm and then the highway when it was taken over. They made it the prison, they made it for a year on the road. They made it after the prison fall too. Terminus was nothing but a pain in their side. They could make it out of there too.

But what happens after Terminus? What lies beyond?

Friends and foes wait to greet them. Hope and despair on both ends of the road.

A man who could be a friend or a foe, but has a more significant part to play on both sides.

A woman who could bring the end, a cigarette perched between her lips as she smiles.

Laurel whispers "come hell or high water" repeatedly. A saying that comforts her and her family. Oh, the things they would do for each other.