chapter sixty-four

chapter sixty-four | the last guess

LAUREL'S PONYTAIL SWAYED side to side as she walked next to Daryl, grinning at him after teasing him for being so 'humble'. They were walking to the little kitchen outside in the courtyard where breakfast was being served by Carol and a few others. A couple of 'Hello's' and 'Good morning's' echoed toward them, the people of the prison smiling at the couple from the tables with their breakfasts. Daryl's face went stoic and he went stiff even as he walked, not liking the attention he was receiving. Laurel didn't like it so much either, but she didn't want to be rude so she bid good morning back.

Carol smiled brightly at them when they approached her. They both grabbed a plastic bowl immediately, Laurel's stomach growling loudly at the delicious smell and sight of Carol's cooking.

"Smell's good," Daryl voiced Laurel's thoughts. 

Carol narrowed her eyes at them playfully as they spooned some deer meat on their plates. "Hope you two slept good, oh, and just so you know, I liked you two first."

Laurel snorted, taking a bite of the meat she hunted just a few days ago. Daryl shook his head, "stop," he mumbled before taking a bite, using his fingers instead of utensils. Laurel tried to hand him a fork but he shook his head at it and she glanced at Carol, sharing a knowing look with her before placing the fork back.

"Rick brought a lot of them too," Daryl commented between mouthfuls. 

"Not recently, and you two bring back most of the food too," she argued, "you're just gonna have to live with the love."

Daryl hummed, and Laurel knew he was just complying because he didn't want to argue with her. He knew better than to argue with Carol. They both did. 

Carol turned to Patrick behind her, a young teen, only a bit younger than Ethan Laurel thinks, that Daryl found when he went on a solo hunting trip when she was sick with a cold from the time they were hunting and a rain storm chased them into a trailer. She smiled between bites at the memory. 

"Patrick, can you take over? I need to show them something," she asked.

"Yes ma'am," Patrick replied.

They walked around the tables, following Carol until Patrick said Daryl's name. "Mr. Dixon, I just wanted to thank you for bringing that deer back yesterday. It was a real treat sir, and I'd be honored if I could shake your hand."

The young boy held out his hand toward the redneck. He glanced down at it, a bowl in one hand and the other covered in meat grease. 

Daryl glanced at Laurel and Carol who both grinned widely at the exchange. He sighed before licking his fingers clean, slapping his palm into Patrick's. Laurel cringed slightly, watching Daryl shake his hand once before letting go. Patrick's smile widened and the three left to see what Carol had to show them.