chapter forty

chapter forty | the needed

"WHAT ARE WE gonna feed it? We got anything a baby can eat?" Daryl questioned as he walked over to their Doctor.

Cassie held Carl's baby sister in her arms. She offered to take her when it seemed like Maggie was struggling to keep herself together after Carl pulled away from her.

Carl stood next to her as Hershel examined her, "the good news is she looks healthy. But she needs formula. And soon or she won't survive."

"Nope. No way. Not her. We ain't losing nobody else. I'm goin' for a run," Daryl swung his crossbow around his shoulders, and Cassie handed the baby to Carl gently. So he and Hershel could get the baby cleaned up.

Maggie offered to go, Glenn as well.

Daryl nodded, before tugging Cassie to the side and bent over so he could whisper to her without anyone else hearing. "Kid just lost his mom. His dad ain't doing so hot—"

"I got him," Cassie looked up at him, and he knew what she was about to say just by the look on her face, "but when you get back, we go look for her."

With a simple nod, Cassie knew he was promising and she trusted him. Laurel never had a good taste in guys, but Cassie knew Daryl was different. Daryl was loyal and never went back on his word. And it was so obvious the two had a thing for each other. It was what the group mostly gossiped about when they weren't around. Even if Laurel didn't notice what was going on between them, everyone else did. Who knows if Daryl did either.

Daryl stepped back before he spat out orders, telling some to control the fence before it got too bad and he motioned for Glenn and Maggie to follow him.

It was late to notice Rick when he made a B line for the cell blocks with his ax in hand when Hershel tried to yell after him. But, he was long gone. Mentally and physically.

"Come on, we're gonna lose the light!" Daryl shouted, gaining everyone's attention again.

The group broke out into two groups, Carl, Beth, Hershel, and Cassie with the baby to go inside and clean her up and organize some things for her while Maggie and Glenn went with Daryl to the cars to go find the baby formula.

Cassie stayed by Carl's side, refusing to leave him even for the smallest second. He was there for her after she lost her brother, he couldn't fill the void, but he was close. He helped her when she struggled, always trying to make her laugh when nobody else was around and goof off when they weren't supposed to. There weren't a lot of moments like that, but they were enough. And that's all that mattered to Cassie.

He was her best friend, nothing more, nothing less. They were family. And she wasn't going to abandon the family when they lost two of their own, and probably more than just Lori and T-Dog.