chapter forty-eight

chapter forty-eight | the rescue mission

LAUREL LAID ON her back with her shirt slightly pulled up as Maggie examined her broken rib. Maggie's eyes widened when she first saw the extent of her injuries. The rib was protruding against her skin, large discoloration covering Laurel's whole torso.

Laurel watched her reaction, "that bad?" she sniffled.

"No," Maggie shook her head, pulling Laurel's shirt back down softly, "we just need to wrap it tightly with something."

Laurel nodded, fresh blood dripping down her chin from her mouth. Maggie's eyes glistened, gently reaching down to wipe it away. She felt the tears run down her face as she watched her friend look up at the ceiling and took in her swollen face and bruised skin before turning her head towards Glenn to see his injuries similar to Laurel's. Glenn caught Maggie's eye, reaching for her hand as she slid back into the wall next to him.

The three of them let silence fill the room. Laurel didn't dare to close her eyes and instead stared at the wood on the ceiling, gazing at every detail. Maggie stared at the small rise and fall of her chest, wishing they could go home so her father could treat her friend. Glenn watched Maggie as she cried quietly. A few moments passed as the same question burned in his head as he gathered to courage to ask it. He was scared to death if she would say yes or lie to him, or say nothing at all.

He opened his mouth slightly, the need to know the answer eating at him and he wanted to puke every second he didn't know. "Maggie did he—"

She turned her head to him, shaking her head, "no." She stated firmly.

Glenn breathed out in relief before looking down at Laurel who was already looking at him when he asked Maggie the question, knowing what he was about to ask, she answered him quickly to get it over with. "He only touched me." Glenn nodded and she turned back to the ceiling. He couldn't read her emotions at the moment.

"All this time, running from walkers— you forget what people do, have always done. Look at what they did to you, to Laurel." Maggie shuddered.

Glenn wrapped his arms around Maggie who leaned into the embrace. She breathed in, closing her eyes, and wrapped her arms around him tighter, not wanting to let go ever again as she wished for this whole thing to be over.

Laurel stared at the ceiling intensely. I've been through worse.

The three sat in silence, nothing could be heard except for Laurel's small, fast breaths. Glenn stared at the walker that Merle threw in but Glenn killed, much to Merle's disappointment. Something clicked in his head and pulled away from his girl, groaning as he stood to his feet.

He stepped over Laurel, catching her attention, and he made his way to the body. Her eyebrows furrowed as she sat up slightly, using her elbows. The women watched as he lifted the walker's arm, placing his foot on his chest before using what strength he has and pulled.