chapter eleven

chapter eleven | the lost

EVERYBODY FOLLOWED SHANE'S orders and split up to scavenge the cars along the highway. Ethan stayed near the RV, watching over his younger sister, Cassie, who sat quietly on the stairs of the RV, her broken arm resting on her lap while she rested her chin on her other hand. She looked like hell and he was surprised at how well she was keeping herself together with the amount of pain she must be in. It's in their genes, he thought. He rummaged through a yellow car, where Rick left his bag of buns on top of its trunk. As he opened the driver's side door, a smell invaded his nostrils and he had to take a step back. Something was rotting in there. He closed the door and searched the car beside it, luckily nothing was dead and rotting in there.

Dale stood on top of his RV with his binoculars, keeping an eye out on the group. Rick doing the same below him but with a sniper, using the scope to his advantage.

"How's your wrist?" Andrea asked from behind Cassie in the RV at the table where she had been trying to put her gun together as Shane taught her.

"It hurts," she mumbled, the sun seemed to be absorbing the energy she had left but she made no effort to move as it also felt nice with the sun's rays shining down on her.

"They will find you something, Cassie," Andrea reassured, sending her a smile that she appreciated. Cassie believed her and Laurel when they said she would get better.

Laurel followed Daryl and T-Dog to help them with finding gas before she went to go look for things she and her family needed. New clothes for them and medical supplies for Cassie would be the best thing that will have happened to them all week, she thought.

She was putting the tube in, letting T-Dog have a break after he inhaled a little bit of gas last car behind them. Daryl continued walking, leaving them behind and he disappeared behind a truck. As she began sucking air in the green tube, made from an old hose, Laurel was pulled roughly back by a tug on her shirt.

She gasped, tripping over the clutter on the road as she was tugged around. "Dude, what the fu—"

She didn't hear the groans until T-Dog covered her mouth, making her stop talking immediately. Her eyes went wide the moment she heard them. She began following him further down the highway as the walkers came towards them. She didn't see all of them behind her but she could hear that there were a lot. They were coming from the direction the group came from.

They crouched between the cars, carefully avoiding the dead. Laurel tried to find a place to hide or something that could help before the walkers spotted them. As she looked around, she couldn't find a place and the only way to not get eaten is to run ahead of them. Laurel was sick of running.

Suddenly, T-Dog moaned in pain. He still had a hold of her t-shirt when he tripped and cut his arm, his blood spraying everywhere, especially on her. She helped him stand, her heart racing in her chest as the walkers started to gain on them. He let go of her and instead held onto his wound as they ran away. They were going to smell his blood. She began to panic as he started to stumble behind her, he was bleeding out. Fast.