chapter thirteen

chapter thirteen | the church bells

CASSIE SAT ON the ground as Lori passed her the cans that she placed in crates beside the RV. Lori tried to force her to rest in the RV but Cassie didn't want to be alone. What happened earlier in the RV scared her, and her sister wasn't back yet either with her friend, Sophia. Her brother was probably messing with the gun he found before she ditched him.

Lori has been too caring and sweet towards Cassie since the night at the CDC. Too nice. Lori had Cassie put a can of peaches to the side after the mother noticed the little girl staring at the can in her hand. Lori offered that she deserved a treat, maybe giving her some energy. She even offered to fix her hair, which was messed up after the horde passed by but Cassie declined, wanting her sister to do it like she always did. Two dutch braids.

It was nice having special treatment, Cassie would admit, but it was for the wrong reasons. Shane still didn't know Cassie heard and saw everything, so he treated her like he always had. Like she didn't exist. How Carl looked up to Shane like a best friend and a role model, she didn't know.

"I'm gonna look for some more," Lori announced just as she rested her hand on Cassie's shoulder, squeezing it before letting go as she went to look for more food.

Cassie stayed sitting where she was and grabbed hold of her teddy bear. She tilted her head towards the sky above her, it was colorful as the sun was setting. Pinks, blues, and oranges. It was pretty but all it did was remind her was Laurel wasn't back yet and she never said goodbye.

"Where's my gun?" Andrea sassed, "you have no right to take it." She towered over Cassie as she snapped at Dale who stood bewildered at the blonde for a second while Glenn walked away so he wasn't involved. Cassie stayed exactly where she was, it's not like they noticed her anyways.

"You don't need that just now, do you?" Dale asked, calmly.

"My father gave it to me. It's mine," Andrea snapped.

Shane walked up with his hands on his hips, "everything cool?" He looked at them as Andrea glared Dale down.

"No, I want my gun back," Andrea crossed her arms stubbornly.

"I don't think it's a good idea right now," Dale advised.

Shane questioned him and Dale announced he was uncomfortable with it which made Andrea scoff and roll her eyes. Shane looked at the both of them before nodding, "truth is, the fewer guns we have floating around camp the better."

Andrea popped her hip out, "you turning over your weapon?"

"No," Shane chuckled as if her question was meant to be a joke. "But, I'm trained in its use. That's what the rest of y'all need is proper training but until that time I think it's best if Dale keeps them all accounted for," He reasoned.

Cassie watched silently as Andrea scoffed again before she walked off angrily back to where Carol was standing. Glenn and Lori brought back more food as Shane asked Dale what that was about before suddenly getting interrupted by Glenn's gasp.