chapter eighty

chapter eighty | the chokepoint

AS ALEX BEGGED them to put their weapons down, then they could talk, Laurel was noticing the shit position they were in. They were heavily outnumbered, not just from the ground but from above. There were quite a few men with their sniper sights hovering over them.

She pushed Cassie further behind her who shook like leaf with Ethan's knife held tightly in her hand. Ethan was a solid wall between them and the people in the courtyard with Daryl next to him.

"I see your man on the roof with a sniper rifle. How good's his aim?" Rick said, squeezing his arm tighter around Alex's throat. "Where'd you get the watch?"

"Don't do anything!" Alex shouted. "I have this! You just put it down, you put it down!" He warned the sniper. "You want to listen to me. There's a lot of us."

"Where did you get the watch?" Rick asked again.

"I got it off a dead one. I didn't think he'd need it," Alex stuttered.

Rick nudged him in the direction of the riot gear, "what about that? The poncho?"

"Got the riot gear off a dead cop," Gareth's voice sounded behind Laurel and Cassie. She spun towards him, shoving Cassie back behind her. She set her aim on him with a glare. "Found the poncho on a clothesline."

"Gareth, we can wait," Alex stuttered.

"Shut up, Alex."

"You talk to me," Rick pressed the barrel into Alex's neck, his voice a warning of death.

"What's there left to say?" Gareth spoke calmly. "You don't trust us anymore."

"Gareth—"

"Shut up," he cut Alex off. His right hand raised, a notion for Alex to stay calm. Laurel watched him closely, keeping her aim on him. "It's okay. It's okay. Rick, what do you want?"

"Where are our people?" Rick asked.

"You didn't answer the question," Gareth said and then closed his fist. Laurel flinched when suddenly gunfire rained down on them, bullets falling right past her and her siblings. Gareth ran before she could fix her aim back on him, then Daryl grabbed her arm to pull her towards the direction the others started to run in.

They started to run back in the direction they came from, back to the double doors but a man on the roof fired right in front of them, halting them. Ethan led the way back in the other direction but was also stopped by shots fired at his feet. Daryl grabbed his arm, "come on!" he yelled before shoving Ethan into another alley between the buildings. Laurel tugged Cassie close as they followed.

They ran into a building and they quickly followed Rick who ran to the front of the group. they ran through the building, trying to use the first door but it was locked so they were forced to use the other door that led outside. As soon as they started to run outside, more bullets were fired at them.