chapter nineteen

chapter nineteen | the secrets that kill

LAUREL FELT LIKE a brand new person when she woke up the next morning. Her body was healing smoothly, and she didn't feel that much pain anymore but she was still a little bit sore. However, she was glad her head didn't feel like it was going to explode and her body didn't look like she threw herself in a wood chipper because of all the cuts and bruises covering her olive skin.

She woke up before her siblings for once and she wanted to make them breakfast before they woke up like she used to. So, Laurel grabbed a black v-neck and a pair of jeans and changed in her sleeping bag quietly, trying her best not to wake them up by too much noise or bumping them on accident. She wanted them to have a good day and wanted to make up for her mistakes the past few days.

Cassie was cuddling with her bear on one side of the tent while Ethan slept on the other with his pillow above his head and Laurel stood between them on her sleeping bag. She smiled as she took her messy hair out of her ponytail, brushing through it with her fingers until she exited their tent to be welcomed by the sight of some members of the group getting ready for the day as well.

Carol handed her a plate of eggs when Laurel greeted her. Laurel opted to sit in one of the chairs and ate, keeping to herself. The group worked and ate silently, everybody was barely waking up and not in the mood for talking just yet. None of them were morning people.

One by one, every member of the group woke up as Laurel helped Carol with cooking and cleaning. Laurel had Ethan and Cassie's plate heated and ready to eat once they woke up, as well as cutting up a few pieces of peaches for them, their favorite.

The grass was dewy and the air had some mist, the birds chirped and the peacefulness made Laurel almost uneasy instead of calm like she would've been before the dead walked. They were safe, she reassured herself. They were surrounded by people who helped them survive and they all felt like a family but there was something wrong, her gut told her. It was making her look around as she did her chores with a watchful eye.

Laurel gave her siblings a warm smile once they climbed out of their tent, giving Cassie a kiss on the head while Ethan ignored her attempt of giving him one and just grabbed the plate out of her hand, causing her to roll her eyes before handing the small brunette her plate, gesturing her to take her seat while Ethan just sat on the floor.

Laurel began to help Carol clean the dishes that were dirty in the middle of the campsite. The air began to warm slowly and she was grateful for the shade the tree above their heads provided.

Laurel didn't notice Glenn until he stood in front of everyone, shifting his weight between his feet nervously as he put his clammy hands in his pockets.