chapter thirty-three

chapter thirty-three | the home sweet home

THE OLDER HILL sister had motivation for the first time in a long time. This new hope, that her family could get an actual night's sleep for the first time in more than half a year.

Rick was in point with the bolt cutters, creating a gap in the fence for the group to squeeze through. Laurel stood at his side, her hunting knife in one hand while the other held the clamps that he gave her a few moments before. The adrenaline that pumped through her veins made her forget she hasn't eaten or slept in days.

"Watch the backside," T-Dog called out.

"Got it!"

Glenn and Maggie took down a walker that was coming too close just as Rick finished with the fence. He and Laurel held the fence apart, letting every member in before they followed.

Glenn tied the gap closed with wire. A female walker running into the fence where the gap once was and tried to grab at him through the holes, causing him to jump back to not get grabbed. It growled loudly, more walkers surrounding them on both sides of the fences.

The group made a break for the large gate that led to the open field. Once the group made it, everyone began to huddle and Laurel realized that's when the real action was about to start.

Laurel sheathed her knife and stood next to Rick. "It's perfect," Rick smiled, "If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these walkers. We'll take the field by tonight."

"So how do we shut the gate?" Hershel asked, squinting because of the sun as looked across the field to where the gate was swung open and walkers got in and out. Laurel held up the clamps for the others to see.

"I'll do it. You guys cover me," Glenn volunteered. But, Maggie shut her boyfriend's idea down quickly.

"No. it's a suicide run."

"But I'm the fastest," he argued.

"No. You, Maggie, and Beth draw walkers from over there, pop them through the fence," Rick instructed. "Daryl and Laurel go back to the other tower. Carol, you've become a good shot, take your time, we don't have a lot of ammo to waste. Hershel, you and Carl take that tower and Cassie stay with Lori... I'll run for the gate."

As everyone began to spread out and follow Rick's orders, Laurel handed Rick the clamps. "You sure about this? I can do it," She asked.

Rick nodded, "I know."

She shrugged and grabbed a rifle from the gun bag that laid behind Rick and ran to catch up with Daryl and Carol as they were running up the stairs to lead to the top of the tower.

Cassie helped Lori with the gate, Rick giving a simple nod as the go-ahead. As Rick was rounding the bus to make sure he wouldn't get flanked, Laurel looked down at the iron sight of her rifle and kept her eyes on him the whole time.