chapter sixty-nine

chapter sixty-nine | the angel and the devil

THE EXPLOSION SHOOK the prison.

Laurel grabbed Daryl's hand, "what the fuck?" she cursed.

"Come on," Daryl ushered. Laurel was almost hesitant to follow, she felt the alarms go off inside of her head as she felt more nauseated with each step they took toward the courtyard.

The four of them ran out of the tombs and cell blocks to greet Maggie, Beth, Sasha, Ethan, Ren, and Carl who were rushing outside as well. Laurel met her brother's wide eyes before her gaze drifted to the blown-up tower to their left. Black smoke flew high into the sky.

Her eyes drifted to the tank and cars surrounding the front of the prison. Her heart dropped to her stomach as his voice carried across the prison field to her. Bile rose in her throat. The alarms, the warnings her body has been giving her, were louder now. She wanted to bend over and throw up but at the same time, her body twitched to fight. Or run.

"Rick! Come down here, let's talk." The Governor stood on top of the tank, his hands on his hips. "I'd hurry," he smirked. He waved his hand and one of his people opened a car door. The group approached the courtyard gate, clutching onto the fence in front of them in disbelief.

"No," Laurel gasped as a woman pulled out Hershel, and then Michonne then forced them to their knees in front of the tank.

"Let's have that talk."

Rick glanced at her and Daryl. Daryl gave him a nod, and the sheriff's gaze lingered on Laurel, silently asking her. She nodded once, her eyes glancing at his revolver at his hip. He caught it and pulled it out, looking toward his son, who gave his father the go-ahead as well. Rick opened the courtyard gate and walked down the hill to talk with the Governor.

Daryl turned to the others, "we can't take 'em all on. We'll go through the admin building, through the woods like we planned. We ain't got the numbers no more. When's the last time someone checked the stash on the bus?"

"Day before we hit the Big Spot. We were running low on rations then, we're lower now," Sasha answered.

"Yeah, we'll manage. Things go south, everyone heads for that bus. Let everybody know."

Laurel watched Rick and the Governor carefully, beginning to discuss. She couldn't hear them, and she had to force herself to remember how to breathe. She watched from afar as Rick shook his head, and shifted on his feet as the Governor grinned down at him. It wasn't going well.

"Ethan," she whispered. Her brother stepped closer to her, "go to Cassie, and get ready."

Ethan opened his mouth to argue, wanting to stay here to be by her side and be able to help fight but his defenseless and ill sister was in bed inside the prison, unknowing like the rest of their people. He had to warn everyone and get Cassie to safety.