chapter sixty-one

chapter sixty-one | the trailer pt

chapter sixty-one | the trailer pt. ii

OUTSIDE THE TRAILER, the storm was slowing down by the time the couple had finished eating. But, Daryl guessed it was going to take a few more hours before they could safely go home. They were thankfully dry for the most part now.

Laurel sat criss-cross in front of Daryl who laid on his back, his fingers messing with the strands of her hair. Laurel's eyes sparkled as she stared down at him, hovering over him. The fire in the pot lit up the room slightly. Daryl nursed it every so often, throwing random wood and paper littered around the living room of the trailer. Laurel's eyes flickered to the door, where Daryl pushed a chair against it to prevent the walkers that came by ever so often from being able to get in despite the lock. The windows let the cold breeze inside, but barely any rain.

Laurel rose her hand, her fingers playing with his half-buttoned shirt. Daryl rested his head on his arm, his bicep flexing and stretching the fabric of his shirt. Her eyes drifted to it, biting her lip as a blush brightened on her cheeks.

His eyes drifted to her lips, his eyebrows furrowing slightly. "What?" He questioned. His fingers slowly stopped playing with her curls.

She looked at him, her lips pulled into a smile. "I was just remembering something," she tried to play it off but her smile grew wider and the blush deepened.

His eyebrows raised to challenge and she tilted forward, resting her forehead on his chest. She giggled into his shirt, fully embarrassed and flustered. Daryl has never seen her this way and to say the least, he was surprised and started to become insecure. Laurel could feel the tension radiating from his body and tilted her head, resting her chin on his chest, looking at him.

"It's not..." She trailed off before giggling, "oh, god. This is so stupid."

Daryl started to sit up, causing her to do the same. A frown on his face as he spoke quietly, "you don't have to—"

"I like your arms," she blurted out. Her hands flew up and covered her mouth, giggling into her palm. She knew better than to not explain because of how his brain worked.

His eyes widened slightly, his eyes meeting hers. "What?"

Laurel took a deep breath with a grin, dropping her hand. "I remembered when we were looking for Sophia and you were gutting that walker, I checked you out. Your arms, I mean. And ever since then, I realized how much I liked them... That is what's so embarrassing."

It took half a second before Daryl remembered. She watched his frown turn into a smirk before he said, "I saw."

Laurel's eyes widened this time, her mouth gaping open, "what?"

"You weren't that subtle," he teased.

Becoming defensive, she said, "well, you weren't exactly either."