chapter nine

chapter nine | the desperate

ETHAN SHOVED THE fake eggs in his mouth as if he didn't eat enough dinner last night. Cassie sat quietly next to him, ripping apart a piece of bacon quietly as she was lost in her head.

The small girl couldn't sleep well last night, but better than she had in months. The actions and words that she witnessed last night were enough for her to get swarmed with thoughts that forbidden a good night of sleep. Is this what her sister went through with her biological father?

Laurel sat crisscrossed on the counter as T-Dog cooked more powdered eggs and bacon for the group. He and Laurel made small talk, secretly letting her get a few more extra pieces of bacon which made her smile and thankful. She missed eating greasy food.

Laurel looked over the group, some are still in bed sleeping, while the ones at the table are trying to cure their hangovers. Daryl sat quietly at the end of the table. He looked as if he was in pain from a hangover but tried to make it seem like he was okay. Laurel didn't have a bad one since she already had a few pills of Advil as soon as she woke up. The full, uninterrupted night of sleep she had probably helped her hangover as well. She felt a tiny headache, but nothing she wasn't used to.

As T-dog went to serve more breakfast to the others, "eggs. Powdered, but I do 'em good."

"Hell yeah you do," Ethan mumbled, his mouth full. As soon as T-Dog came closer, Ethan held out his licked-clean plate in front of him making everyone chuckle.

Glenn moaned as Jacqui gave his shoulders a massage.

"Protein helps the hangover." T-Dog leaned close to him as he scooped some eggs on his plate and Glenn moaned louder.

"Don't ever, ever, ever let me drink again," Glenn begged.

Laurel laughed as she jumped down from the counter and came up behind him and tugged on his ear while she took a seat next to him.

He winced, his hand slapping her lightly on her arm which was probably meant to be harder and she pretended to cry out in pain before laughing. Glenn pretended to pout as he took a bite of bacon.

Cassie focused on her food as she began to feel uncomfortable. When she glanced around to figure out why her heart started to race, she saw Shane walking in behind her and towards the coffee machine.

Rick asked Shane, "feel as bad as I do?"

"Worse," Shane claimed.

Cassie looked at Lori, and for the time this morning, the woman looked back at the girl with a blank face. She shook her head slightly, motioning not to say anything.