chapter thirty

chapter thirty | the horde

THE BRUNETTE FROZE once she saw the herd in the distance. The silhouettes in the dark night caused goosebumps to rise on her skin as she watched them make their way over the hill.

When Lori stormed out, she announced Carl was missing and Carol tried to reassure her that they were going to find him. The two women went back inside to search, asking Cassie when was the last time she saw him. She told them that she left him upstairs a while ago and hasn't seen him since.

Laurel tied her up in a high ponytail with her bandana, making sure it was tight enough. She loaded the gun Andrea gave her earlier, making sure it was full before clicking the clip back in it and turning the safety off.

Andrea tossed the bag of guns in the middle of the porch, Maggie started to hand around guns while her father grabbed a shotgun. Glenn was stunned when Maggie loaded her own shotgun.

"You grow up country, you pick up a thing or two," she explained.

"I got the number— it's no use," Daryl stated.

"I don't think we have enough firepower for that many," Laurel claimed.

"You can go if you want," Hershel cocked his shotgun which made Laurel raise a brow at the old man.

"You gonna take 'em all on?" Daryl asked with a surprised look much like Laurel's.

"We have guns, we have cars."

"Kill as many as we can, and we'll use the cars to lead the rest of them off the farm," Andrea suggested, cocking her own weapon.

"Are you serious?" Daryl questioned again, he was more than ready to pack their things and get away from here, which is what Laurel figured they would've done as well. It was the smart thing to do.

"This is my farm. I'll die here," Hershel said with confidence.

"Alright, it's as good a night as any," The redneck turned to Laurel and tapped her forearm slightly, tilting his head towards his bike.

Laurel nodded, holding a finger up, asking him to give her one moment. She hurriedly bent over, grabbing a shotgun before disappearing inside.

Cassie and Ethan were standing by the window together, peeking outside as Carol and Lori were freaking out behind them. Laurel couldn't exactly worry about another kid at the moment.

Laurel called their names, asking them to come to her quickly. They both walked to her at the front door, Cassie holding onto her teddy with her arms around him tightly.

Laurel handed Ethan the shotgun. "It's time. Go grab a pack, and fill it with enough supplies so it's not too heavy or too light, okay?"

"We are gonna have to run, right?" Ethan asked, his shoulders dropping. Cassie began to tear up at the thought of leaving the farm, the only safe place she once knew.