chapter twenty

chapter twenty | the found

LAUREL WAS LIVID. She fuming on the way back to camp, her brother and sister in tow. They walked in silence, the only sound that was heard was the crunch on the dried grass beneath their shoes.

The group was separated, in more ways than just one. Shane, the instigator, and Rick, the one who tried to please everyone. Everyone else followed one or the other.

Laurel could tell from the way that Shane talked, he could not be trusted like Rick. Rick understood the greater good of every situation, even when needing a little help from others he trusted. Shane was selfish and close-minded, Rick was the exact opposite.

Laurel despised Shane.

Cassie watched from behind Laurel as her older sister's fists clenched. She knew why her older sister was upset, Shane had a way with his words. He always had poison in them.

Cassie began to overthink. Shane was finally showing his true colors to the others. They were going to know sooner than later, she hoped. Either Shane will finally blow up and spill or Lori will finally tell Rick what happened that night. She wished for Shane to disappear so he would stop causing so much chaos and harm to the group.

Ethan was indifferent and just wanted to get back to eating breakfast and ignore everyone as much as he could while he did his own thing. Ethan tried to forget everything his little sister confessed to him, and unlike her, it was pretty easy for him. He believed his sister just made it up, she used to do that a lot anyway, he dismissed.

He could care less about the group.

The three split up once they got to camp. Laurel grabbed her spare knife since the other one was left in the river from the other day. She grabbed her bandana from their tent before leaving and went to take a walk around the property to cool off.

Cassie grabbed her teddy and walked into the forest of trees behind their camp. She decided to start climbing the oak trees, missing the feeling of being so high up without the walking dead beneath her, wanting to get a piece of her flesh.

Ethan stayed at camp, climbing to the top of the RV, and took watch when it wasn't even his turn, it was Glenn's but he knew he would probably go see the farmer's daughter. Ethan needed some peace.

Laurel walked the dirt path towards the stables, twirling her knife in her hands. She scraped out the dirt from beneath her fingertips and let the wind control her breathing as she tried to calm down. She repeated in her head, 'in and out, learn from the wind.'

The boyfriend comment really made Laurel want to shove a stick up Shane's ass. She saw the look on Daryl's face when Shane said it and felt almost embarrassed. Laurel had to remind herself she wasn't in middle school anymore and shrugged it off.