chapter thirty-five

chapter thirty-five | the starved

WITH VARIOUS WEAPONS laid out on the table in front of everyone, Laurel grew worrisome that they were just handing them over to the prisoners. She began to think about the reason why the five men could've landed themselves in prison.

Theft? Dealing? Rape? Murder?

Tomas was the one guy Laurel truly was concerned about. The way he talked, the way he carried himself and his actions were evidence that he was a bad guy who did some bad things before the end. Reminded her of the situation at the bar.

The other guys were harmless, following Tomas like lost puppies. If they had to kill Tomas, with reason or not, they wouldn't be able to do anything. They will follow the next leader just as easily as they once followed Tomas.

Each of the prisoners picked up a weapon, examining the sharp and blunt objects in their hands.

Tomas held out a crowbar he picked. "Why do I need this," he pulled out his gun, "when I got this?"

"You don't fire guns, not unless your back's up against a wall. Noise attracts them, it really riles them up," Daryl spoke in a coarse voice, which caught Laurel's attention next to him.

"We'll go in two by two. Daryl will run point with Laurel. I'll bring up the rear with you," he pointed to Andrew with his machete, "stay tight, hold formation, no matter how close the walkers get. Anyone breaks ranks, we could all go down. Anyone runs off, they could get mistaken for a walker, end up with an ax to the head," Rick ordered.

"And that's where you aim. These things only go down with a headshot," Daryl informed.

"You ain't gotta tell us how to take out a man," Tomas bragged.

"They ain't men. They're something else," T-Dog warned.

"Just remember to go for the brain," Laurel glared at Tomas as venom dripped from her lips.

Laurel held her knife tight in her hand, keeping it raised in front of her face. She led the group with Daryl next to her, his crossbow held up as they peeked around corners. The next cell block wasn't far, but they needed to move quietly and slowly to make sure they don't become cornered by walkers.

Unfortunately, the prisoners didn't comprehend anything the survivors told them.

"Man, it's too damn dark in here," One of them loudly spoke right behind Laurel and Daryl. The two turned and shushed him harshly.

Daryl instructed Big Tiny to hold his ax up higher, insisting that they would hear them before they see them.

They shuffled loudly through the long hallways, twisting and turning, trying to find the next cell block.

"It's coming!" Axel shrieked, resulting in a shush from Rick and Laurel.

Daryl held up his hand, motioning for the group to halt when he heard the snarling from around the corner. Laurel held up her knife, noticing the shadow of walkers just as they rounded it. Daryl used three fingers to count down to one.