chapter six

chapter six | the deja vu moment

LAUREL GAVE ETHAN a fist bump, as well as giving Dale and Glenn a smile before exiting the RV. Ethan would be riding in the RV while Cassie and Laurel would give Daryl some company in his truck. He offered to give them a ride as he thought it would be better than them getting cramped in the RV or the other cars with everyone else and their families.

Laurel ran her hand through her hair as she walked towards Daryl's truck where Cassie cuddled her teddy bear in the middle of the three seats with Daryl sitting quietly next to her tapping on the steering wheel. Once Laurel opened the door and climbed into the truck, Cassie wrapped her arms around Laurel's bicep and closed her eyes, resting her head on Laurel's shoulder.

Laurel set her knife on the dashboard before swinging Cassie's legs over her lap so she could be more comfortable. She ran her hand through her little sister's hair so she could fall asleep peacefully. Cassie hasn't had a good night of sleep in a while, none of them have. The Hill siblings rather stay awake than live another nightmare like the night before when the group of the dead came plowing through and killed half of their members.

Daryl kept his eyes on the road, where the caravan started to make their way towards the CDC, Rick's idea to do so. He tapped on the steering wheel, thinking of an old rock song he couldn't remember the name of. He thought the girls next to him would talk his ears off but instead, the three sat in comfortable silence. He was thankful.

Ethan would cringe every time Jim moaned in pain at every bump on the road. Jacqui tried her best to keep the infected man comfortable by wiping away the sweat with a cold damp towel and giving Jim some water but nothing seemed to ease the sick man's pain.

Ethan finally had enough and walked towards the front where Glenn and Dale sat, to try and find some type of music CD to drown out the sounds of Jim.

"What are you looking for, son?" Dale asked the teenager. Glenn moved his legs out of the way as Ethan searched the front hurriedly, glancing at Dale's as he did so.

"Do you have any music?" Ethan sighed as he rummaged through Dale's endless amount of random things.

"No, but even if I did, the radio doesn't work." Dale sent an apologetic look at the teenager and Ethan groaned, sitting on his bottom between the two men on the floor.

"Damn it." Ethan looked helplessly out the window in front of him, covering his ears with his hands. The sound of a man dying wasn't enjoyable.

Cassie sipped on her caprisun in the middle of the road while her sister laid down next to her on the cement as Dale tried to fix the RV that broke down a few minutes earlier. The girls paid no attention to the frustration the group was having and continued to state the shapes of the clouds.