chapter fifty-six

chapter fifty-six | the meeting

THE TWO YOUNG Hill siblings watched their older sister from the top bunk bed tuck multiple knives within her clothing, some out in the open, some hidden. Laurel still wished she had her holster but tried her best to use her black jeans, dark blue long sleeve, boots, and belt to her advantage. They won a big haul when Rick, Carl, and Michonne came back with guns, ammo, and a few other things they needed. Judith finally had an actual crib now instead of a bin.

Laurel couldn't stop thinking about her kiss with Daryl last night. She was still overwhelmed with her feelings for him, but she liked how overwhelming it was. It was nice to feel something other than pain, sadness, or anger. Her lips still tingle now, especially anytime she would see him across the cell block. They both would exchange smiles, blushes, and gentle touches but haven't had the chance to talk just the two of them.

However, Laurel had to force their kiss out of her head as the turning point for the war between Woodbury and her family was going to happen in just an hour.

She still wanted to kill the Governor, or Phillip as Andrea calls him, slowly to make him suffer. She was ready to fight harder than she ever did in that room. She wanted to make him scream. Make him bleed until he couldn't anymore. 

Laurel stood in front of the small dirtied mirror in their cell, her hands clutching onto the sink. She let out a deep breath, raising her hands to braid her hair.

"Are you sure about this?" Cassie asked, the anxiety clear in her voice.

Laurel's eyes drifted to her siblings in the reflection in the mirror. Cassie's eyebrows were furrowed and she played with her fingers in her lap. "I'll be fine, we all will," she tried to reassure but the worries were still evident on their faces.

"You didn't answer the question," Ethan pointed out.

Laurel sighed, finishing off her braid and then tying it with a hair tie. She flicked the braid over her shoulder. She turned and walked to their feet that hung over the edge of the bed, looking up at them.

"Rick is. Daryl is. I am. Either we will make a truce happen or we won't. But, I'm not worried either way."

"How? We only have a few people and their stupid fucking town almost has a hundred. Do the math. You could be getting tricked at the meeting and kidnapped, again. Might actually get killed this time." Ethan argued, his nervousness turning into anger quickly.

Cassie shrunk in herself, bringing her knees up to her chest to hug them. Laurel rose her hand to rub her leg comfortingly. "Ethan, stop," Laurel scolded, not wanting him to say those things in general and especially not in front of their younger sister, despite it may be the truth or not. "I know we will survive no matter what because I know us. It's us. Okay?"