chapter sixty-seven

chapter sixty-seven | the mom's lullabye

THE FIRST ONE to object was Maggie.

"Please, Laurel, you don't need to do this, my dad's going to be in there looking after her—"

"He's the only one that's gonna be taking care of everyone, I need to help, I need to be in there for her, Mags," Laurel sighed.

Maggie stood in the doorway of her cell, tears in her eyes as she watched her best friend get ready to go into isolation with the sick. She hugged herself, "Glenn's in there too."

Laurel halted, turning towards her in shock. She swallowed the lump in her throat, "I'll look after him too."

"I don't want you to get sick too," she whispered. "I don't want to be alone out here."

Laurel sighed, "I won't, and you won't be. Carol and Rick will need help, but right now, Cassie needs me. We will be okay, Daryl will be leaving soon to get the medicine they need. Glenn will be okay." She spoke sternly to help ease Maggie's anxiety. She stepped a few feet in front of her, smiling softly, "we are going to get through this."

Maggie nodded, wiping away the tears that started to fall, "we will. Go say bye to Daryl, I'll come to check in on you as much as I can."

Laurel and Maggie left her cell and split to go their own ways when they reached the cell block gate, waving goodbye. Laurel walked outside where Daryl would be waiting with the others at Zach's car, the fastest one they got. She has already said goodbye to Ethan, making sure he stayed away from them before he packed and left to go to isolation, helping Carl with keeping everyone safe there. He was upset but tried to hide it as much as he could. Laurel could tell he was as terrified as her when Cassie suddenly got sick.

Daryl was leaning against the driver's side, his arms crossed on his chest as he glared at the dirt underneath his boots. Laurel's lips twitched upwards, before quickly remembering he was going to be leaving without her this time. She stopped in the middle of the courtyard, whistling to get his attention.

His head immediately perked up, his glare softening as his gaze settled over her. He didn't glance at the others who sat in the car, their attention on the couple as they approached each other. Daryl quickly made his way to her, halting when she gestured for him to stop a few feet away. His expression turned sour but he understood. She was more exposed than before. More exposed than him.

"You sure about this?" Daryl asked, shuffling on his feet.

Laurel nodded with certainty, "Cassie needs me. Hershel will need help." She glanced at the car behind him, noticing the ones inside of it, pretending not to care about them. Her eyes settled on Tyreese's beanie before meeting Daryl's gaze again. "You sure about that? About Ty tagging along?"

Daryl shrugged, "we will see." They stared at each other silently before he remembered what he wanted to give her. He dug in his back pocket, pulling out a black bandana and holding it out to her. "I know you've been missin' yours, so here, use it as a mask in there."