chapter forty-nine

chapter forty-nine | the escape

DARYL OPENED THE door, hurriedly throwing out a couple of smokes in the middle of the street. The Governor's men yelled, spotting the white smoke that flooded the street fast.

"Let's go," Rick ordered once he was satisfied with the smoke density.

The group filed out of the building one-by-one with their weapons high. Ethan and Laurel held tight on each other, Ethan keeping most of Laurel's body weight on him. They kept their right side pressed against the buildings, trying to use the smoke as cover until a man shined their floodlight towards them, through the smoke, spotting them.

"There they are!"

Gunfire ensued, both sides firing blindly at shadows before the smoke began to dissipate. They began to shoot their way across the street, Daryl yelled "Behind you!" to Rick who ducked before shooting a man that stepped from behind a building right next to them.

"Go! Get cover! Get there!" Rick shouted over the gunfire. Ethan and Laurel noticed where he was pointing, but they lagged behind the others so Oscar hung back and threw Laurel's arm over his shoulder so Ethan wasn't being slowed down. Stepping on multiple rocks, she hissed but kept moving forward, glancing at Oscar with a grateful look she hoped he noticed. She threw herself into a doorway, pressing her back against the brick wall as the others tuckered in around her.

"How many?" Rick asked, the gunfire drowning out their voices. Bullets hit the brick walls around them. Maggie, Ethan, and Daryl peeking around the wall to return some of the gunfire to keep the Woodbury people from pushing forward.

"I didn't see," Oscar replied, helping Laurel stand up straighter as she began to slide down the wall. Laurel wheezed, one of her hands clutching onto Oscar's arm for support.

"Don't matter. There's gonna be more of them," Daryl stopped shooting to reload, "we need to move. You guys go ahead. I'm gonna lay down some cover fire."

"No!" Maggie yelled, "we have to stay together." Maggie peeked her head and arm around the corner, shooting blindly at the crouched figures behind benches.

"Too hairy, I'll be right behind you." Daryl grabbing another magazine, stuffing it into his pocket, and then grabbed the last smoke they had. Daryl looked to their leader, "Ready?"

Without waiting for a reply, Daryl chucked the smoke into the street. He pulled his rifle up and ran he shot towards the enemies, covering the group as they made a break towards the wall.

Oscar helped Laurel run, practically carrying her across the street. His heartbeat loudly in his chest as he jumped on the hood of the bus, bending down and grabbing Laurel's outstretched hand. Rick grabbed her waist and lifted her. She screamed in pain as the men lifted her. Ethan threw their weapons over the wall, climbing up after his sister. Oscar wrapped his hands around her, helping her over the fence before dropping her down as gently as he could.