chapter fifty-five

chapter fifty-five | the haunted

THE MORNING DEW started to collect on her long wavy hair as she stood on watch. She shivered when a few cold breezes blew by, and she hoped winter would not come sooner than later. She hated the humidity, but she rather sweat than have to deal with another winter like last. To keep herself alert, she hummed a song she remembered from before the end of the world, Me & Mr. Jones by Amy Winehouse, pacing back and forth on her feet slowly as she kept her gaze on the forest around her home.

Her mother, Dahlia, loved Amy Winehouse and most of Laurel's favorite memories of her mother have the music in some form in them. Dahlia would turn it on the radio almost every day, and she loved to clean to Amy's music. Laurel remembered her mother would cry for some time after the singer's death. Amy and her biological father, Richard, had a lot in common regarding alcohol, drugs, and well, death because of their addictions. It hit a little too close to home for Dahlia, but she still loved to listen to Amy's music. Laurel missed her music. And her mom.

Regarding everything Laurel was currently feeling about all she has been through and that has happened, what would her mother tell her? she asked herself. She wished her mother could tell her what she needed to hear because Laurel doesn't understand herself anymore. She doesn't understand anything.

"Laur?"

Laurel startled, her humming stopping abruptly, turning on her heels to see Rick leaning against the entrance to prison behind her, smiling softly. "Didn't mean to scare you, sorry."

She shrugged lazily, turning back to the way she was facing before.

Rick joined her side, bending forward slightly to peak through the pallets they had against the fence around them. "Carl and I are going to bring Michonne on a run. Hopefully, bring back some supplies."

"You think that's a good idea?" She looked up to him as he straightened his back. He understood her meaning, she wasn't doubting his judgment on bringing Michonne or Carl. She trusted Michonne and Carl is a good shot. Laurel was doubting his judgment of choosing to leave their home, with not as many people to help guard it. Even though Andrea was setting up a meeting with the Governor, she didn't trust it at all.

"I do." Before she could reply, he continued quickly, "you and Daryl are in charge, keep up reinforcing this place and be prepared."

She closed her mouth and nodded. She drifted her eyes back to the trees, avoiding Rick's knowing gaze. They both stood in silence for a moment, breathing in the morning air before Laurel spoke up again. The events yesterday with Andrea visiting were often on her mind. "You sure this meeting is a good idea too?"

Rick sighed heavily, "I hope so." The tension was evident in both of their features.

"I get it, but to be clear I'm coming with," she spoke certainly, "no one's stopping me."